Travel insurance on Herceptin?

Travel insurance on Herceptin?

Travel insurance on Herceptin? Hi All,
Does anyone know if its possible to get travel insurance whilst on Herceptin? I read on here, that you need to be 3 months post treatment…

(chemp/rads)

Many thanks,

Jill

Hi Jill

I used Mars (details are on this site) while on Herceptin and Tamoxifen to travel to New York in March this year. They covered everything and their quote was slightly cheaper than Tesco who would cover me but exclude anything to do with BC.

3 months post treatment was explained to me as surgery, chemo or rads.

Debbie

No problems I managed to get travel insurance with a company called “snowcard” who are a specalist adventure, skiing and expedition insurer. They insured me 12 months after remission. According to my consultant this date was exactly 12months from the date of my WLE. I then had 6months of chemo and 6weeks of radio. So we took out an annual policy from 12months post op which covered all BC related cases at no extra cost. The insurance is not cheap but it really does work - we have had to claim in the past but they do different levels of cover though. We generally do alot of high altitude remote treking (even when on Herceptin - my consultant thought we were mad but did not try and stop me!) so need this type of cover which includes helicopter search & rescue. I was on Herceptin/Tamoxifen at the time of taking it out and although I declared this it made no difference.

Take care and have a great holiday.
Nicola

thanks THanks for all the info…i hope to go skiing next year, so will wait until oct to get my insurance!..You will make my mum very happy too, as she had her mastectomy on the day she was meant to be on plane to Canada! you can plan nothing! She thought it would be a couple of years before she could go!

Nicnic im glad you are living life to the full…I hope i can too soon , but Herceptin and i arnt getting along…but i think its the periton draining me! ive only had 2, but 2 weeks aparrt due to a reaction

Jill

Herceptin I also found that the first couple of Herceptins were by far the worst. I was very tired for a week afterwards. Will yours move to every three week? You may feel better at least for a higher percentage of time - important to me. The Piriton knocked me for six aswell. As soon as it was administered I was out for the count and would wake up when the nurse came to say it was time to go now. Not even the drip alarm did it. Meant my husband also had to drive me to and from hospital. Also I felt like I had a cold due to break out all year. I kept having to blow my nose but thankfully that has now fully cleared up.

Obviously I found Herceptin easier than Chemo but it is still hard work. Be kind to yourself. One problem I found especially in the second half was that people forgot that I was still having treatment and how much of a drag it was. I think that it was primarily due to the fact I was working full time (from the day after radio), hair was growing slowly and that I was active (sometimes more active than my friends). Oh thats another thing I have found that my hair is now growing faster now that I am off Herceptin luckily - not sure how scientific that is though. But I managed skiing, 2 week treking around the Joteinheim mountains in Norway, a week in the Lakes doing some long hikes and also a week in Scotland adding to the Munro list!! My consultant I think has now given up on me with regard to taking it easy!! Now off to South Africa and Botwana to do the Drakensberg traverse for three weeks.

Sorry to rabbit along. Take care and look after yourself.
Nicola

herceptin too hi NiNic,

You are an inspiration!! you sound so active…im determined to go skiing in Jan…but u are so active! I dont think i could manage the gym right now! I hoope herceptin does get better for me…i only got 2/3 of the first one, stopped due to a reaction, so got dose 2 twp weeks later, apparently this kept me on schedule and evened it all out!..But dose 2 waited hours to get a bed, had periton and streriod only to be told it was 4.15 and drs go off at 5, so couldnt give me Herceptin…so had periton again the next day…so maybe thats why i still feel awful…worse than chemo!!..I could sleep the clock round…need Red Bull to do anything constructive…but im a single parent of 3 young kids…power for the course!!!

Jill

Hello Jill

Not sure how you managed Chemo and all with three young kids - amazing. Not surprised you feel terrible considering you have had two doses of Piriton. Lets hope the next one goes more to plan.

Make your you get that rest when you can.

Nicola