Treating radiation burning

Was wondering what others have used to help to treat your breast when having radiation treatments to cut down skin irritation. Reading about different creams, special soaps to clean area, aloe vera (actual plant itself). Can anyone please suggest what you have used and if it has helped/not helped.
Thanks…

1 Like

Hello Bronxgal.
What helped me the most was wearing cotton t-shirts insideout, so the seams wouldnt scratch my skin. And also wearing the bra on top of the 100% cotton t-shirt.
I suffer from atopic dermatitis so I shower with soap-free fragance-free gel, no sponge or anything that could rub the breast skin. Used Avene Xeracalm A.D for mosturizing.
Got some radiodermitis, so when radiation ended, they gave me a hialuronic acid cream that I used for about 5 weeks and helped a lot.

1 Like

Flamigel cream was brilliant. Highly recommend that. Aloe vera also helped. I agree with bronxgal on cotton tops too. I stopped wearing a bra altogether and just wore a vest/strappy top under my outfit x

1 Like

I wore a Proskins crop top inside my bra for extra softness and had a bamboo sock in there sometimes as well as an extra barrier which also seemed to help with itching and prevented me scratching first thing in the morning when I was only half awake… I wore my M+S post surgery hook up bra as I felt it was important to still have the support . I used jojoba oil and Aveeno to moisturise and went back to very gentle soap bars for bathing showering etc. xx

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the information. Just starting my research on this. Surgery coming up soon and then radiation afterwards.

1 Like

Thank you… Its important to hear directly from others who were in the same boat to see what worked.

2 Likes

I used Aveeno moisturising lotion daily and aloe vera gel for when it got hot which you can put in the fridge to chill. After treatment ended I needed some hydrocortisone cream for the itch.

2 Likes

Thank you for your tips… Much appreciated.

1 Like

I bought Biafine emulsion hydrante from Amazon, it’s French and has specific instructions for use during radiotherapy - I used it in the morning (but not more than 2 or 3 hours before the radiotherapy session), then immediately after the session whilst I got dressed, then in the evening every day and for a couple of weeks after the treatment ended. Apart from a little bit of redness I was fine - the radiotherapy staff were all really impressed with how well my skin was doing.

2 Likes

Great… thanks… I will check it out. Be well…

1 Like

Hi

I’m a week out of radiotherapy and also used
biafine (I have a French friend who recommended this) I also used osmo soft gel, I alternate them.

So far the only side effect I’ve noticed is a little bit of a sore nipple, this was close to the tumor site so I guess that was an area they targeted.

Good luck with your treatment

Hugs
J xx

1 Like

Thanks for your tip. Good luck to you as well. Btw…love your user name:)

1 Like

Hope we haven’t given you too many ideas … :grin: Xx

1 Like

Not at all. Prefer alot… Then I do my homework…

2 Likes

I’ve just started radiation - had 2 sessions so far. I’ve been moisturizing my breast for a few weeks now. I’musing MooGoo natural
fast hydrating lotion - I bought it in an oncology pack from them with a natural deodorant and cleanser. It’s probably too early to say if it’s working or not:)

I used good old E45, took my bra off when possible and wore a seamless cotton one otherwise.

Continuing the discussion from Treating radiation burning:

Hi I used Epaderm ointment which was reasonably cheap for a large 500g tub and comfortingly thick and greasy. I put it on immediately after each treatment and wore my post surgery soft bra or just a vest to avoid chafing. I’m 2 days post treatment now and have no skin breakdown issues :crossed_fingers:. Good luck with your treatment x

I used Epaderm too for the same reasons. Unfortunately forgot to put it on under my arm where my lymph nodes were removed…but my breast area survived pretty well. Epaderm is VERY greasy and will ruin your clothes so I have moved on to Aveeno after a week post-treatment and it seems to be doing the job too.
No-one warned me I would burn so just be prepared! Good luck xx

thanks very much for your info. Hope all goes well for you