Tried

Hi, I had stage 1 breast cancer , had operation in Jan and then one week of radiotherapy in March ,  some days I’m full of energy and feel great then the next few days I’m so tired it like my body don’t won’t  to anything but sleep , is this normal and how long will it last, I’ve been back in work two weeks x

Hi @Aliberry  

Your experience sounds a little like the way I felt actually. I had my radiotherapy at the end of March last year and it took until July to get my energy back . Initially I felt fine and then was hit with a wave of fatigue that lasted about 10 days . After that it got slowly better but I kept thinking I was over it then getting an odd day when I just felt exhausted .

I was also adjusting to hormone therapy and trying to support my elderly Dad whose health was deteriorating - these things did not help. More than that it took doing a Moving Forward course to help me mentally process everything and this helped my physical recovery as well . 

I’m sure you will get there ,try to be kind to yourself and I hope that they’re showing you a bit of consideration at work. I found it helpful to lie down for an hour and listen to Headspace on a few of the bad days. 

Hope you feel better soon 

Joanne x 

Hi Aliberry   

Thanks for posting.  

Experiencing fatigue after receiving treatment for breast cancer is very common and can be difficult to cope with.  Like @JoanneN mentioned, many people find that they start to get their energy levels back as time passes after treatment, but for some fatigue can continue for months, or sometimes years.  

Other factors may also contribute to fatigue, such as: the emotional impact of a breast cancer diagnosis; altered sleep patterns; reduced activity and poor diet.  Keeping a diary to record when you feel most tired can help you plan activities you enjoy in the times when you have more energy. Trying to stay physically active can help and eating a healthy well-balanced diet is also important.    

Going back to work can also affect your level of fatigue. If you haven’t done so already, it might be worth talking to your employer (if you have one) about how you are feeling and seeing if you can adjust your work hours. Here is some further  information about work and cancer which you might find helpful.  

We also suggest you discuss how you are feeling with your treatment team, breast care nurse or GP. As some of the side effects you are experiencing may be due to other conditions such as anaemia, (too few red blood cells in the body) or thyroid problems that might not be related to cancer treatment. 

We offer a range of free support services you may be interested in. Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.  

The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK - prefix 18001). 

If you would like a nurse to call you do complete this form . Ticking the box agreeing to a call back.  

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am - 1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.  

Regards   

Victoria  

Breast Care Nurse  

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy    

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.