Triple negative and chemotherapy

Hi. I had a lumpectomy and lymph node biopsy. I was told the cancer was removed and margins clear also hadn’t spread to lymph node. But was told i have triple negative cancer so my worry is although its only been two weeks since i got these results its 4 weeks since my operation and im waiting to hear when my chemotherapy starts. Ive read it needs to start within 30 days for the best chace of it not coming back within 5 years. Am i right to be concerned?

Hi debi1

Thank you for your post.

It is understandable that you feel concerned about starting your chemotherapy treatment for triple negative breast cancer.

It’s good to hear that the cancer has been removed and your lymph nodes are clear. Your breast team should have referred you to the oncology team so you can meet and discuss the benefits and risks of chemotherapy. You can then agree on a plan that is best for you.

Like you, many people worry about the risk of breast cancer returning during and after treatment. Waiting for the next treatment to start can be an anxious time. We would suggest you contact your breast nurse to discuss your concerns and ask when your appointment with the oncologist will be. You can also discuss your concerns about waiting for treatment with your oncology team when you meet.

You may find our online chemotherapy support forum helpful during chemotherapy.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Stephanie

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.