tripple negative breast cancer

I am aged 55 years (post menopausal) and was diagnosed in July 08 with early breast cancer. Small tumour stage one grade two 7.8mm (under one centimeter) no spread to lymphs or vascular invasion. My treatment was surgery and rads.

Although my tumour was tripple negative I was not offered chemo. My oncologist said that given the size and stage of the cancer he did not feel that chemo would benefit me. I have read that given the aggressive nature of tripple negative tumours that chemo is nearly always offered. I feel very anxious, scared and abandoned. Can you advise.

Hi pencil

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care discussion forums. Whilst you wait for the other users to reply with their support and experiences you may find it helpful to talk this through with one of our trained members of staff on the BCC helpline. Here you can share your worries and concerns or with some body who has experience of breast cancer or is a breast cancer nurse. The team comes from a variety of backgrounds, which means you get the opportunity to talk to someone who has an understanding of the issues you’re facing.

The helpline is available Monday to Friday 9am-5pm and Saturday 9am-2pm and the number to call is 0808 800 6000.

I hope you find this helpful.

Kind regards
Sam (BCC Facilitator)

Hi pencil

There are many different kinds of triple negative breast cancer and not all are aggessive. Grade, stage, lymph node involvement are all important in determinig prognosis, irrespective of hormone status.

If you are concerend about your treatment you could consider a second opinion???

best wishes

Jane