Trying to be positive

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in my left breast on 14 May, and i’m booked in for surgery on Friday 13 June. I’m 54, and until now had no health problems(except arthritis and a weight problem)
I feel as if i’ve been run over by steam roller. I don’t know what grade my cancer is.
Everything is moving so fast, i’m not having time to take it all in. There is a history of breast cancer in my family, so i’m really scared as i have 5 daughters.
My husband and children have taken the news badly, but they are trying to keep calm for me.
My emotions are everywhere at the moment, and i can’t stop crying, i’m so afraid.
I had to have a biopsy on my lymph nodes on Friday, and the hospital have just called to say i have to have a core biopsy on the lymph nodes as they never got enough cells last time.
I look around at people getting on with their lives, and i’m so angry that my life has been turned upside down by all this.
I can’t explain how sad i feel.
Please tell me all this is a normal reaction.

Jean xx

Every day may not be good, but there’s something good in every day

Hi Jean

Entirely normal. I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago, had lumpectomy and some lymph nodes removed 2 weeks ago and got told yesterday that it’s grade 3 amd a 3.1cm tumour and cancer was in 5 out of the 7 lymph nodes. I’m 39 and have daughters aged 4 and 2. Despite the bad diagnosis, I feel really relieved to know exactly what it is that I am dealing with and that I will have to have chemo then radiotherapy.

It is a whirlwind, and every time you have to wait for results seems an eternity.

You do feel like you have to cope for everyone else as well as yourself, except for on here, where you will get great support and advice.

Good luck with yours.

Kinden
x

Hi Jean

I am sorry to read of your recent diagnosis and I’m sure the other forum users will continue to offer there support. You may also find helpful a Resource Pack published by Breast Cancer Care, it has been designed for anyone newly diagnosed with information to help you better understand your diagnosis, test results and various treatments, it is available via the following link or by contacting the helpline: breastcancercare.org.uk//content.php?page_id=7514 You may find our helpline useful to call to talk through the concerns you have about surgery and treatment options, they can talk to you about our other support services too and also offer support, information and a ‘listening ear’. The number to call is 0808 800 6000 Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm, Saturday, 9am - 2pm. I hope you find this helpful. Best wishes Katie

Good afternoon Jean

As Kinden says your reaction if perfectly normal. These things tend to come as a bolt out of the blue and it’s a shock to be told you have BC. Also everything moves so fast that it is difficult to take everything in and think straight.

Try not to read too much at this stage, until you know the details of your case it’s so easy to read stuff and scare yourself rigid. My dx was mid January and I had surgery a week later to remove a 16mm grade 1 tumour, I was node negative so did not require chemo - I started a course of 29 rads in March and this finished at the end of April - I am on tamoxifen for 5 years. I’m back to the onc at the start of June for a follow-up but am not anticipating any problems. Hopefully you will be as lucky.

whatever your situation you will get loads of support on this site - anything you are unsure of ask it in here and someone is bound to have an answer - there is no such thing as a stupid question either so don’t hold back.

Good luck

Hi Jean,
Absolutely normal!
I’m 56, and was diagnosed 3 years ago. I was “lucky” in that mine was “only” DCIS (don’t worry, you’ll get the hang of the abbreviations) but I still needed a mastectomy. I hope your family can be supportive once they’ve recovered from the shock, it makes a big difference.
You’ll find lots of help and support here: whatever type of BC you’ve got, there will be someone whose been there before and can lend a listening ear, words of advice or a shoulder to cry on as the need arises.
Good luck!
Silversue.

Thank you for the replies, it really does help to know that others understand exactly how i feel. Today has been a pretty rough day emotionally, and sleeping is almost impossible… although my BC care nurse has said this will settle down. The staff at the breast unit have been fantastic, nothing is too much trouble.
I will post more on the site when i’ve had a good lok round it.

Take care everyone

Love
Jean xx

Jean

i can’t add to the above really - they have said what i would say - this point is difficult and it’s hard not to ‘go off on one’. So, ok you have a diagnosis… but they still need ot know more - it was the same for me. nothing showed up on ultrasound and mammogram so core biopsy - but i did get a nice big plaster!

I’m six months into treatment and I can say it’s ok for me… i’d rather not but hey, i have to. Lilac, Kinden and i are ‘relatively new’. Silversue has been there and done that - she is a ‘good bunny’… read other threads and you will find her … she is a regular at the dew drop inn…an online pub where we chat silly soemtimes but like a get together with friends we also go GAH!!! i feel rubbish or.my heating’s broken… it covers everything that we do.

All i really wanted to say is take care, your family will be upset but you are a diamond, you won’t shatter - i promise you
Jennifer x btw Ahh… silversue - i now know your age - not much between us - i am 50… jean’s our age

Hi Tina,
Yes i’m the same one from GR. So glad to hear you’re not having too many probs after your op, makes me feel less nervous.
I had my biopsy on my boob, but now need another one on lymph nodes, apparently the one they did, didn’t get enough cells, hence the core biopsy next Friday.
take care Tina, and everyone else

Love
Jean xx