TUG flap decision-

Hallo . i’m not a blogger, so this feels like launching into outer space.
Following 6 months of chemo, i had a lumpectomy and axillary clearance, but as there are still malignant cells on 3 margins and beneath the skin, I am now about to have a mastectomy. I have been offered TUG flap reconstruction, but can find little about this and am concerned about damage to the donor site. I have a surgery date of 5th July and don’t feel I can dither much longer!
Please can anyone with experience advise?

Dear ad astra

I’m sorry you haven’t had any replies yet. I found this thread where there are a few comments about this procedure

breastcancercare.org.uk/community/forums/reconstructive-surgery/any-experience-tug-thigh-flap-reconstruction

I hope this helps. It might also be useful to give our Helpline a call. The opening times are 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays. 0808 800 6000. They can offer practical information and emotional support.

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Dear Janet,
Thanks very much for that link. It was very helpful.
I’ve also spoken to my son’s friend’s friend’s mum (took some finding!) who has had the same procedure. I feel a lot more confident now.
Best wishes

Dear ad astra, I was discharged from hospital only yesterday from having mx with an immediate tug flap recon a week ago. So far I’ve been ok, slight blistering of my breast (not the flap, that is fine) where my mx surgeon had to go close to the breast wall to clear me of cancer. This is like a graze.
My donor skin is absolutely fine. My leg where I had the donor taken from, the scar is tight, so am walking very slowly, but am improving quickly.
I met a lady just before I went in to have my surgery, she had this exact procedure and was very happy with her outcome. I must say, she looked amazing!
I hope this helps you, if you have any more questions, please don’t hesitate to ask. I was very confused right up until I made my decision and believe that was the hardest decision I have ever had to make!
Take care and good luck

Dear Tonit3,
Thanks so much for your feedback. I’m glad you seem to be doing so well and it’s reassuring that you feel daily improvement already. I’m glad I’m not alone in finding this such a hard decision to make, but do now feel that, unless the surgeon says something alarming tomorrow, I’ve made my mind up.
I’ve been told to buy cycling shorts, but they all seem to have very padded crotches, which is very sensible looking at the shape of some of the saddles these days, but I dont fancy living in them 24/7 and if I did, think I might be doing a John wayne shuffle in them. Have you got suitable shorts and if so where, did you get them?
Take care and I hope your recovery continues to progress as well. Please let me know how you’re getting on.
Thanks again

Hi ad astra
It is perfectly normal to feel this way trying to decide. Beforehand, I kept thinking there was something wrong with me for thinking: “am I that vain, really?” I was being told no, athough I don’t have any option over having cancer, but you certainly do when it comes to the reconstruction side!
The shorts were actually quite hard for my family to find. The hospital I was in ordered me ahem, a crutchless girdle which is super tight and meant to be kept on all the time and yes even whilst going to the loo! I now keep this on just at night whilst sleeping. The shorts came from Sports Direct age 13 believe it or not, they are actually quite giving, you need them tight and they are still not that tight on me. The other pair came from a Dance Shop. Sainsburys, Tesco and other shops were searched but with no joy. We didn’t have much time in buying these otherwise I would have gone on line. They are meant to be tight around your donor area and lower.
In this weather you definitely don’t want the padded seat area, lol!
My walking is progressing, I went out yesterday and had a nice walk. It did tire me out though, but I didn’t think I would be able to walk that far so soon.
Good luck in your search and for your appointment tomorrow, let me know how you get on with your surgeon.
Take care

Hi ad astra
Just a quick message to wish you well for tomorrow, everything will be absolutely fine, the surgeons know what they are doing.

Keep smiling! :slight_smile: