Ultrasound results, anxiously awaiting biopsy

Hello,
I had an appointment for an ultrasound and mammogram yesterday for a small lump in my left breast that I discovered in December. They did my US first, and the tech told me when she was done that the doctor would read the results and determine whether or not they needed to do a mammogram - she said they won’t do them on people under 40 unless absolutely necessary (I’m 35, no history of BC in my family). They determined I didn’t need a mammogram.

When the doctor came in to tell me my results, he said that they actually found two small masses, the one I was feeling and then a smaller one behind it. He said they are likely fibroadenomas but he’d like a biopsy to be sure. I asked him if he saw anything concerning about them, and he said not really - they aren’t completely typical of fibroadenomas, but also not atypical. He said he’s seen others presented in a similar fashion.

In looking at the write up of my results, nothing seems too out of the ordinary for “typical” fibroadenomas, so I’m not entirely sure what he was referring to. It does note that the one mass has some internal calcifications, which concerns me, but he didn’t note it as suspicious and my overall BIRADS score is 4A. My biopsy is scheduled for Tuesday, which I’m grateful there was an appointment that opened up that quickly. But the anxiety is killing me, and I guess I’m just sharing in hopes that someone can help talk me off the edge, or maybe even mentally prepare me for an unfavorable result. I know no one can tell for sure and the biopsy is the only true determining factor, but I’m still stressing.

I’ve attached my results.

So sorry your stressed out.
It’s just standard practice.
I got told first my lump at 36 was infection,had antibiotics.
Then got referred to breast clinic as lump didn’t go down.
They did standard ultrasound thought it was nothing, same as you actually.
My surgeon was like it’s probably nothing.
I had two biopsies to confirm cancer.
I caught it very early.
I know it’s scary, but don’t Google is awful for medical jargon.

They are doing the right thing, biopsy & mamogram to double check everything.

At the moment until you know what it is, it could be anything,hard as it is, you have to just carry on .
Your in the best place if it is anything x

2 Likes

Hi Jstig,
Please try not to worry until they do the biopsy on Tuesday (great it’s so soon) and you get the results. You are better off not having mammograms unless you need them - and if you have dense breast tissue, things are more likely to be spotted on an ultrasound. The waiting game is terrible, but honestly try to avoid googling possibilities at this stage. Definitely easier said than done, (I know full well) but honestly, worry adds stress and that is not healthy for us, so try to distract yourself with things you enjoy doing, and don’t read too much into it at this stage. Hopefully it will all turn out to be nothing untoward :crossed_fingers:
I’m 46 and had a biopsy on Thursday on a new lump at the site where a breast cancer lump was removed last July. I am trying to stay positive but of course struggling hard not to imagine the implications…
I went out with a friend for a comedy evening and didn’t mention the new development- good to have a laugh and switch off for a bit.
Do try not to worry for the time being, but you’ve found the right place for support in the event you need it.
Best wishes

Mir-ie, Thank you so much! It’s really hard not to think about all of the “what-if’s,” but having some time to process the results and needing a biopsy, I’m feeling a bit better. I’m a millennial and need that instant gratification/immediate answers that the internet and other technology has so kindly provided to us, so this whole waiting game does not sit well with me :joy:

I’m sorry to hear you’ve found another lump. Truly hoping that everything turns out well for you. I’ll be thinking of you!

1 Like

Be, thank you for your response! I’m sorry you had to go through all of that. It’s obvious to me that there isn’t a consistent protocol doctors follow when it comes to these things, and it’s sad to hear stories like this! But I’m glad all turned out ok.

I’m extremely grateful that between my primary doctor and now the breast clinic, they do take this seriously and are making sure to cover all their bases. The waiting is the hard part, but I’m feeling better today after having time to process things.

1 Like

Hi jstig,

Any update? I hope everything came out good and nothing serious to worry about.

Best wishes!

Hi Smiley, yes it came back as a benign fibroadenoma! They actually ended up finding another one when they did a quick mammogram after the biopsy, so I had another ultrasound and turns out I have four fibroadenomas altogether. Who knows how many in the other breast! But I go back in 6 months for a follow-up, and other than that I am in the clear. Extremely relieved to have that behind me!

3 Likes

It is tough when you have to wait. My thoughts are with you. I am waiting for an appointment for A biopsy, and my head is spinning. Keep us in the loop.
Lee