Update - surgery date

So I finally have a provisional date for surgery, 23rd April. Was diagnosed in January and the waiting has been horrendous. Will be having Therapeutic Mammoplasty with a reduction on the healthy breast for symmetry. I am a GG cup and they have said I will end up a C/D cup. Bit anxious about a 4 to 6 hour surgery but I got to be done. Any advice for post op and when I get home would be gratefully received. I will have someone stating with me for the first few days but after that I am on my own. Thanks x

1 Like

Hello Paddington,

Thinking of you, i had similar surgery to you, I did find that this was uncomfortable, but doable. And able to carry on almost as normal, feeling a little tired at times pleased to read that you’re going to be having someone staying to support you. As regards to what you can do after surgery. everyone is different and taking one day at a time you will get stronger and able to cope after about a week I must say I was very happy with my results afterwards and fingers crossed for you.

Wishing you well, going forward please let us know how your getting on

Hugs Tili :pray::rainbow::pray::rainbow:

1 Like

Hi

I had the same surgery in July 22 so coming up
For 2 years . I was so glad to have both breasts done in one operation . A long operation and one overnight stay - the pain was managed overnight with the drugs they gave me during surgery . My surgeon didnt insert drains so didn’t have to battle with them . I had a bra put on in surgery . I don’t think I was given great advice with wound care so I would get as much info as possible . Showering changing dressings etc . I wore my bra constantly for 8 weeks a simple zip front one - I bought a couple from Asda . I went up a back size and got a d cup . Couldn’t stand it too tight initially . It took
Me a while to feel confident without a bra . I managed the pain with paracetamol
And nurofen . The positive is the smaller boobs - I wear simple non wired bras now and am so much more comfortable so a positive there . I was surprised about the collections of fluid . I was completely obsessed with the wounds and healing but can confidently say they do heal and the fluid does go away . By the time I started radiotherapy in the September I was getting used to my new size. Try not to worry too much about the length of surgery - try and get
As much rest as you can the first few days . You will need someone to help if you can but I was potterirng about fairly quickly .

1 Like

I found the most useful thing I used was a cool pack to go under my arm to help with the nerve pain.
Don’t expect the pain to reduce in a linear way, it comes back and goes randomly, so keep taking regular painkillers longer than you may imagine.
A small heart shaped pillow was also a great help.
I also bought a V shaped pillow and continue to sleep predominantly on my back 4 months later
Good luck xxx

1 Like

Good ideas given already but if you don’t have it already get some dry shampoo as hair washing is difficult and if you can afford it maybe treat yourself to a wash and blow dry / style at your hairdressers ( good present idea if anyone wants to get you anything ) . Go to Boots or somewhere and buy some non - adherent dressings / dressing gauze in case of leakage - I didn’t need them for this in the end but they can also be useful as extra padding or to prevent chafing .

Having a crop top or two available instead of just bras might be helpful even if just to sleep in as well as they’re less dependent on cup size than bras .

Hope it all goes well xx

Thankyou all for your very useful advices. I am having a bit of a meltdown and freaking out about the surgery today. Everything suddenly feels very real now and the thought of being under general anaesthetic for 4 to 6 hours on its own is scary. Then there is the actual surgery, have been told there will be 2 surgeons working at the same time (one on each breast). Feeling very anxious at the moment about what lies ahead.

I hope your surgery went well . Keep looking on hear for support and comments . I know it helped me . Even now nearly 2 years later I browse the forum and find it helpful .