use of aloe vera gel

I start radiotherapy treatment next week. I have been told that aloe vera gel stops you blistering but my oncologist was not keen and said it was just possible that it could do some harm. has anyone else had advice on this?
Mary2

Hi Mary

I am due to have my planning for rads tomorrow and have been following the anytips for newbies threads for a couple of weeks. The advice seems to be use the aqueous cream. I have been slapping it on for twoweeks now in preparation for the next few weeks. My breast was quite flakey (I am fair skinned…almost blue and dry skin too) I think from wearing a bra all the time and the aqueous cream has definately done the job. It was £2.90 for a massive jar from the chemist.
Good luck. I think I will be starting about the same time as you. 19 sessions.
Shonagh xx

Just before I started rads I saw an article in Amoena Life magazine. This strongly recommended Aloe Vera, and recommended Holland & Barrett 99.9% gel. I used it and had no problems at all with 20 rads, despite having sensitive skin that burns easily. I mentioned it to one of the nurses when I was having rads - she said that officially they only recommend acqueous cream, but were aware aloe vera was very good and many people use it. She cautioned that you need to use one that is at least 95%, to keep the level of impurities down as these can cause irritation.

Hi Roadrunner,

Oh thats interesting, I have got loads of aloe vera plants, My mum gave me one years ago that just keeps sprouting new shoots so now I have 4 with loads of thin narrow leaves instead of a few massive large ones. If I burn myself with the oven or iron I just snap one off and rub it on and its amazing. As it would be 100% do you think it would be ok to use. I dont use any pesticides or plant feeder on them as they grow like crazy already???
Shonagh xx

Hi Roadrunner and Shonagh,
Thanks a lot for your comments. I am using aqueous cream but do burn easily and so wanted to try aloe vera. I was put off by the hospital but will now give it a go. I have had 2 treatments with 23 to go. Did you use it Roadrunner before you had any redness or only when you became red?
Mary 2

I’m completely new to this site - currently having 25 rads - about 12 down - and wanted to say that I have used a combination of the acqueous cream (morning and night) and aloe vera 99.9% gel or opened up a leaf of an aloe plant about twice a day - more during the weekend - and they are all amazed at how good my skin is holding up. They initially told me to use nothing but the acqeous cream but I wanted to try the aloe so now they are saying I did the right thing. Sometimes I open up a leaf and shove it gel side down on my breast inside my bra! Very attractive! Anyway it seems to be working and have had no ill effects…

Hi Manou68

Thanks for that, I have gone a bit pink and prickly today about 7 hours after being zapped. I am very fair skinned (almost blue apart from the SNB dye) so am going to try the aloe tomorrow. I am 5 down 14 to go. Cheers Hun and good luck with the ret of the rads.

Shonagh xx

Hi to all of you undergoing rads,

I finished my 25th and final session Friday before last and used both Aqaeous cream and Aloe Vera Gel (99%) as often as I could. I kept both of them in the fridge as the cold was quite soothing, especially towards the end.

If you start going pink you can also get geliperm patches from the pharmacy. This are like slices of jelly that you keep in the fridge and place onto your treated area to draw out the heat. I found them an absolute godsend.

I had a bath everyday using Simple bath milk and body wash, although I did avoid deodorant!

I managed to get all the way through with no broken skin and my skin is almost back to normal already.

I wish you ladies lots of luck.
Lorna x

I haven’t heard about the geliperm patches but will definitely try and get some of those too as I am getting a little pinker now after 3 weeks. Thanks for the tip!

Mary x