Using Nioxin during chemo?

Hi!

Has anyone used the Nioxin hair kits DURING chemo? I just want to know if there’s any point.

Just had my 2nd FEC, I’ve got 2 more to go and I’m done. Shaved head this morning to stubble length as can’t cope with the shedding & wondered if there is any point to using the Nioxin now if it’s still coming out? 

Also, it contains parabens and I’m estrogen positive BC so does anyone have any feelings about using parabens?

This is the 2nd time I’ve lost my hair, 1st time it sort of continued to grow throughout chemo, not much but when that finished it was about 8 weeks before hair was really noticeable.

Any tips great fully accepted ?

JoJo xx

Hi atomicjojo,

Thank you for your post. I am sure some of our users will be along to share their experiences with Nioxin hair kits and show their support soon. 

In the meantime you can always post on our Ask the Nurse board or call our helpline on 0808 800 6000, who will be able to talk you through any questions you have and offer a friendly ear. The opening hours are below:

Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
Late opening Wednesday, 9am-7pm
Saturday, 9am-1pm

Best wishes, 

Bonita 

Hi JoJo,

I was roughly where you are now last year (2 chemo’s down & 2 still to go, although my chemo was TC). Sorry I didn’t use Nioxin during chemo as I only became aware of it at a Look Good, Feel Better session after all my chemos had finished. I received a free kit and I started using it straightaway. I can’t honestly say whether or not it made a big difference, my hair did start to grow immediately after chemo but would that have happened anyway without the Nioxin? I can’t say for sure and I’m hoping I never have to find out, I’m hoping I never have to have chemo again! I did go on to buy a 2nd Nioxin kit and use that, so maybe at the time I felt it was having a positive effect. I didn’t go completely bald anyway, I had a fine layer of really soft hair (almost like baby hair).

Interesting about the parabens in Nioxin though, must admit I didn’t realise! Should have read the ingredients more thoroughly! I am more careful now what I use and will generally research any new product before I use it but I am not fanatical and there will probably be some things I use which do contain some parabens!  Likewise with food I try to eat more healthily and avoid too much processed food, but don’t ban it completely.

Good luck with your remaining chemo sessions and I hope your hair grows back quickly.

Big hugs,

Vik xx

Ah thanks for replying Vik
I think I’ll give it a go, maybe once or twice a week. Like you say who knows. It’s got to be worth a try.

This is the 2nd time I’ve lost my hair & was quite pleased how quickly it grew back before so if it boosts it then all well & good.

Jojo xx