Using the Predict Tool

Hi, I am interested in the Predict Tool and your experiences of using it. To what extent did it dictate your choices? Was it helpful? I can’t use it yet as there are a couple of things I need to clarify with my nurse. I’m also waiting for the results of my Oncotype DX test so it’s possible there will be decisions to be made one way or the other. I’m very keen to avoid chemotherapy if at all possible although obviously I won’t take any risks with my health. I’m 67 so although not exactly past it, I guess my decisions may be different to those of a 30 year old.

2 Likes

There are two versions of the Predict tool, the original is the one most hospitals use as the data is the strongest. The newer version includes more treatment options and can give a more favourable outcome.

I was always told to use Predict in conjunction with your team as it can’t be alone, although it can show your outcomes if you have or don’t have certain treatments. It states chemo but not what type of chemo ( different chemos can be used depending on your diagnosis etc). I have two separate invasive cancers and Predict fails to take that into account, even though it’s a higher risk of bc for family members.

This video is really helpful with Dr Claire McCauley, oncologist explaining how Predict works at 27 minutes. I have found it really helpful.

The BCN nurse are available to chat this through on 0808 800 6000 m-f 9-4 sat 9-1.

Take care

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes