Verzenio Side Effect?

I am new to forums but would like some community support.

I was diagnosed 12/2021 with breast cancer HR+ HER2- stage 3a with node involvement. 2 surgeries, chemotherapy and radiation in 2022. I started Anastrozole in September 2022 and started Verzenio 5 weeks ago - 4 weeks at 100mg twice a day and now 1 week at a dose increase of 150mg twice a day. I had diarrhea on the 100mg a few times a day and it has continued with the increased dose. I don’t like the way anti-diarrheal’s make me feel so I stay close to home and just deal with it.

I have had 3 ocular migraines this week - one Monday, Thursday and today. Has anyone else experienced this on Verzenio? It isn’t listed as a side effect and the oncology pharmacist said this hasn’t been reported to him.

Thanks for any support/advice,

KMW

2 Likes

Hi welcome to the forum . You could also post in the targeted therapies section of the forum ,there are discussions about how this drug impacts on people there . Some threads are under its other name Abemaciclib. If you put verzenio in the search box it should bring up some threads where it has been discussed too .Hope the side effects settle soon for you . Best wishes Jill

Targeted therapies

1 Like

Hi @kmw1

Welcome to the forum. It is full of kind, helpful people like @Jill1998 and I hope you find the support you are looking for.

Please know that our nurses are here for you any time, here on the forum on the Ask our Nurses your questions or over the phone 0808 800 6000.

Sending our love,
Lucy

Whilst I havent experienced headaches or migraines on Abemaciclib (I have been taking it for 7 months) I have read of diarrhea causing dehydration and dehydration leading to ocular migraines.

Best wishes
Bookie

1 Like

Hi

I’ve just come off Abemaciclib with Fulvestrant after 5 blissful years. Started on 150mgs but my white cells weren’t coping so dropped down in the first few months to 100mgs. I coped well on that dose for just over a year, but my white cells didn’t. I went down to 50mgs in 2020. It was really doable. Diahorrea is a given on Abemaciclib, but manageable.
I did occasionally get sharp ‘head pains’ that I definitely associated with my eyes, and blurred vision at times, but all short lived and not an issue. No migraines. I thought it was down to the Fulvestrant rather than Abemaciclib.
Maybe your’s are an effect of the combination with Anastrozole.
Not very helpful. Sorry. I hope you get an answer.

Sara

Thank you for the advice on searches to understand verzenio better. I’m on my first month prescription of 100 mg with foslodex injections. I had diarrhea vomiting and dehydration and received 2Ls of saline. Stopped verzenio for 7-9 days, then resumed. Haven’t had significant bowel issues yet. I’m also micro dosing which can have an effect too. I have had a dull headache behind my right eye. I’m a bit stressed emotionally so I’m not sure what 's side effects and what’s depression related. My thoughts go out to all that may be on this road with me :pray:

1 Like

Thank you…I do think that not hydrating adequately has played a role for sure. I also suffer from insomnia and that is a contributor to ocular migraines also. I’m still having them but not as frequently. I’ve had to drop down to Verzenio 100mg twice a day - my liver wasn’t happy. I still have diarrhea but not as frequently and what I eat really makes a difference as well as timing when I take Anastrozole. I try to take it no sooner than 2 hrs after Verzenio. I’ve noticed my fatigue has increased - are side effects cumulative I wonder? I’m trying to see if increasing my physical activity helps with that.