Visual disturbance with docetaxel

Hello, I’ve had 4 courses of docetaxel, 3 x EC before that. I did mention to my consultant that it seems to have affected my vision - near sight. It does start to improve before the end of a cycle. I wear varifocals. The doctor thought it could be more to do with steroid I take the day before and for the first 5 days of treatment, but I’m not so sure.

Anybody else had this happen?

My questions are: is this something that returns to normal at the end of treatment? How long should I give it before going to an optometrist and thinks about new glasses?

1 Like

Hello suedot,

Thanks for posting.

Both docetaxel and steroids can affect vision. It’s good to hear your consultant is aware. It is not possible to say if your vision will return to normal after your treatment finishes, however, it is reassuring that it improves towards the end of your cycle. The patient information leaflet on docetaxel, advises you have an ophthalmic eye examination if you experience blurred vision. So, it would be helpful to have your eyesight assessed.

We offer a range of free supportive services for anyone who has had a diagnosis of breast cancer which you may be interested in. They include face to face and online courses and events.

For more details about all of these services, please see the information on the link, or call our free Helpline

Do also call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen to your concerns, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Teresa

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.