Waiting for biopsy result

Hi am new to posting on any site but looking for advice and info… Don’t even know if this is a UK site. I went for a routine apt at my local breast clinic last Tuesday. I had been producing droplets of milk which didn’t seem worrying to me cos its a known side effect of my anti depressant but GP insisted. I missed 3 apts before I even got there. It never crossed my mind they would find anything. The upshot is they said the milk production is no problem, but as I’ve just turned 40 they could offer me a mammogram even though the nurse examiner couldn’t see anything concerning. Had mammo then it all got wierd. Went in for ultrasound immediately. Radiographer tried to aspirate a mass he fad seen on the mammogram . He confirmed immediately its not a cyst and then went straight on to do 2 biopsies of same lump, which you can’t feel. Then they brought a consultant in who told me I have a T1 something it other, 2mm in size. Says he is “concerned” but that it is good the radiographer didn’t need to biopsy my armpit. Said he hoped he was reassuring me and I said no you are giving me the impression you think I have cancer. He said there are still other things it could be but he is concerned. He said whatever it is it has to come out so I can expect some sort of operation. Felt like a surreal dream. Get result of biopsy weds morning and he said we go from there but he can likely preserve most of my right breast. It was all so much to take in. Friends in this position have been told things like " probably nothing to worry about" or 80% sure it’s not a cancer; but my experience suggested they think it IS cancer. Can they be pretty sure from the mammogram and ultrasound or something? Can anyone tell me anything that will help me while I wait? Have 2 kids age 6 and 3 and this has come totally out of the blue!! Thanks

Hi Kate,

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care discussion forums, (this is a UK site)  you’ve come to the right place for some good, honest support from the many informed users of this site.

While you are waiting for replies, I have put for you below links to one of BCC’s publications you might find helpful. Also our helpline team are just a free phone call away, 0808 800 6000 lines open Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 10-2

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/breast-cancer-you-diagnosis-treatment-future-bcc44

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Thankyou Jo, I have read the booklet you sent and it is very helpful. Saw my GP this morning but she was in a rush. I asked her if they can tell from the mammogram and US that its cancer and she said no but they definitely get a ‘feel’ for it after so many years. Just hope they were barking up the wrong tree that day! They didn’t say it would definitely be cancer and my GP told me the same happened to her and it turned out to be benign! Results tomorrow morning so here’s hoping!