Waiting for biopsy results - don't know what to think

Hi,

I have never joined a forum before, let alone posted, so this is a first! I don’t know any of the terminology or really know anything about breast cancer, so this is all a big learning curve.

I was recalled from a routine mammogram because they could see an ‘area of density’ on one breast. My clinic appointment was yesterday. The doctor said he was concerned by the area on the mammogram. When he did the ultrasound, though, he said he couldn’t see or feel anything either in the breast or the nodes. I then had a biopsy with a mammogram (not my best experience) and now I have to wait for a week to hear the results. I don’t know what to think. This whole process is a torture. Has anyone had the experience of something showing up on the mammogram, but not the ultrasound?

Jo x

1 Like

Hi @jojo5 welcome to the forum, it’s a friendly, supportive place.

Breasts are made up of ducts and lobes “padded out” with fibrous breast tissue and fat. The mix of tissue and fat determine the density of a breast, with denser breasts having more fibrous tissue than fat. Sometimes anomalies in the breast aren’t picked up by one diagnostic method or another. For example, an anomaly in the lobes can be harder to pick up than one in the ducts. A lump in the breast can be harder to pick up on a mammogram if the breast is particularly dense. So a mix of mammograms, ultrasounds, CT scans and MRIs can be used, if necessary, to get a clear picture. It’s not unusual for something to appear on one and not another.

I didn’t have exactly the same experience as you in that, yes, I was recalled after a routine mammogram and, yes, I had a repeat mammogram but the biopsy was done during the ultrasound. Mine was a clear lump though, albeit small so there was a lot of rummaging around by the doctor trying to find it whilst she muttered under her breath. I was told there and then that it would be cancer and I understand that is quite usual these days. You haven’t been told that and there can be a number of anomalies which aren’t cancer so there is always hope. We are often reminded that it isn’t cancer until you are told it is so try to hang on to that.

This forum is crammed with posts from people who find waiting for results to be the hardest thing. It is easy to let your imagination run riot and go to dark places when you have no facts. This period WILL pass and, whatever the outcome, you will know what you’re dealing with and once that happens, things will be a lot calmer and clearer. I hope it’s good news for you.

1 Like

@Tigress Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I know you are right that this time will pass, it just seems to be going in slow motion at the moment. It’s going to be a long week! Thanks again

2 Likes

Hi @jojo5

Sorry that you have found yourself here but pleased you are being looked after with the biopsies.

I found a lump in April 2023, I was already a year late for routine mammogram due to backlogs. The mammogram and ultrasound found my tumour to be different sizes so I have a biopsy and then sent for an MRI to determine the actual size. Unfortunately for me they found another tumour in the other breast, two primary breast cancers. I then had another biopsy on the 2nd tumour. Results were 2/4 weeks as they had to do extra tests for the HER2+ receptors.

I have had surgery, chemotherapy with Herceptin ( which is ongoing), radiotherapy and Letrozole. Nothing is easy, I’m still having side effects of chemotherapy and radiotherapy but I saw the breast care nurse and she said it’s still early days, be kind to yourself.

Whatever the outcome of your biopsy the team will look after you and if positive, they will talk you through your treatment plan which will be devised by a multidisciplinary team. You’re in good hands. The waiting is the hardest part, try to be kind to yourself and if you can find something nice to distract yourself. I understand how hard that can. This forum has been a life line for me and if you need treatment I’m sure it will be the same for you.

Take care :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Thanks so much for your reply. I hope you are doing ok.

1 Like

I am going through the same thing. I have my mammogram guided biopsy on Wednesday. Please update. Thinking of you

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear that you are going through this torture too. I had a repeat mammogram, ultrasound and biopsy all at the same appointment - have you had to wait? Good luck on Wednesday. At least you’ll be a step closer to having some answers.

Hi @lizzy1969

Sorry to hear you are having a biopsy next week and find yourself here. I will be thinking of you.

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I had to have a mammogram guided biopsy as well as the area was too small for the radiographer to be confident that they would have the right place using ultrasound. This was after a suspicious area was found on a mammogram.
I won’t lie, it was a little uncomfortable while they set up everything. I was in a chair that they could adjust for height and angle so they could get the breast in the right place. Then they do the squish, check the position and then you have to maintain the same position for some time. They use lots of local anaesthetic so it isn’t painful. I think I was just so tensed up that I was almost cramping up during the session.

All the staff were lovely, checking in on how I was doing, explaining each stage, etc. They will do their best to look after you.

1 Like

Yeah I had an ultrasound and follow up mammogram at one visit and got called to go back for a mammogram guided biopsy.

I hope your biopsy was ok? I had my results today. There was no cancer in the tissue. But now I have to have another (vacuum) biopsy, so the waiting continues. I hope you get positive news

1 Like

It went ok- I got really nauseous and warm right after. Now the waiting…… that’s good news that it was not cancer but why more testing?

1 Like

Glad to hear it went ok. I didn’t feel well at all during mine and they had to stop and start again after 15 mins or so, so I’m not really looking forward to an even longer procedure! The earliest appointment they have isn’t for over 2 weeks, so more waiting. I hope you don’t have to wait too long for your results? I don’t fully understand why I have to have another biopsy, but I think it’s because there is a clear anomaly in the mammogram and it doesn’t match the pathology. They obviously aren’t fully convinced by the biopsy results. I just assume they took the wrong bit of tissue!

Hi @lizzy1969

I hope you get your results soon. The waiting can be really hard, try to find things to distract yourself. Do things you enjoy.

I waited nearly 4 weeks for all my results as I was HER2+ and they had to do two separate tests so it took a while longer.

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@jojo5

I’m sorry to hear you have to go back for another procedure. But it is good they are looking in more details for the anomaly they found on the mammogram, better to have all the facts.

From my understanding the vacuum assisted biopsy can take more than one sample compared to a needle biopsy. The needle biopsy needs to be very accurate to take a tiny sample.

Keep us informed. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: