Waiting for results

Hi all,
I have always had lumpy breasts, but noticed a new lump a couple of months ago. I went to the GP who advised to come back in 4 weeks. I did and she referred by the the breast clinic. My GP did say she didnt think it was anything to worry about.
I attended the BCC on 9 August - thinking it would just be a fatty lump as I had attended twice before. The Consultant was very nice and examined me and then advised mammorgram and ultrasound.
My concerns came during the ultrasound when the doctor asked if I wanted to have the cyst drained? I said I didnt know it was a cyst but before I could say anymore she went onto try and aspirate it. Unfortunately, she said she couldnt get at it and it was tough and therefore would like to take biopsy as it looks like its full of ‘muck’.
She took 3 biopsies and then said that these will be discussed at a MDT meeting and I will be sent an appointment in 2-3 weeks time to discuss results.
I think the word ‘MDT’ threw me as I recognise this as a cancer care meeting and I left the room rather dazed.
I then went into to see the consultant who said that some lumps can fill with ‘rubbish’ and we will discuss the results in 2-3 weeks and if we need to take the lump out we will discuss it then.
I think because I wasnt expecting any of this and was rather shocked, I am now constantly analysing what they said.
I am going on holiday this Friday for a week but can’t sleep/eat with worry. Is it usual to wait nearly 3 weeks?
I keep telling myself that most lumps are benign and that the consultant would have prepared me for something worse but at the same time this lump did feel different to the others.
Thanks for your support and sorry to waffle on!
Cathy x

Hello cathy21

Welcome to the forums, this must be a very worrying time for you, I’m sure the users of the site will be along to support you soon.

Whilst waiting for replies maybe you would like to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator

Hi Cathy

The ‘waiting room’ is the pits. Easier said than done, but try not to worry too much. So far, from what you’ve said, it sounds quite encouraging - they have kept talking about cysts, rather than ‘suspicious masses’. An MDT meeting is probably quite normal, even for benign conditions, if they are considering removing the cysts.

To wait two to three weeks does seem like an eternity, but is within the the normal range. Have you got anyone you can talk to about this? If you are really struggling to sleep, why not see your GP and see if she can give you anything to help short-term,

One bit of advice would be to take someone with you to your results meeting. A second pair of ears is always worth having.

Good luck, hope you still manage to enjoy your hol. Let us know how you get on. Do come back here if you have any questions - and take up the offer of calling the helpline.

Best wishes
Dx

Hiya,
Just to put your mind at rest. An MDT meeting is just he multdisciplinary meetingwhere all the experts get together to discuss the cases. It’s not a cancer meeting specifically. I am sure thy are just discussing the best course of action for you.
Please try and enjoy your holiday.
Rae
X

Hi all, newbie here. I am awaiting biopsy results. I should have had them last wednesday, but they were very busy and my biopsy wasn’t done, so I’ve had to wait another 7 days. I have 2 solid tumours in .r. Breast. Had mammogram and ultra sound followed by biopsy. Measurements were also taken under .r. Arm. I have a dense mass of tissue which was found on mammogram. I was also asked questions e.g how often do my family visit when I’m I’ll and what hours I work and also that of my husband. shave experienced a strange sensation in this breast to, almost like milk coming through whilst breast feeding. Although its years since I did that. Feeling more and more concerned. Any lovely person out there who can take these fears away ?

Hi Shari14, I can relate to your feelings as I am still awaiting biopsy results after 3 weeks. I have just rang the consultant’s secretary who informed me that they are now back and has given me an appointment for next week. another week of waiting!!! I can’t sleep properly, my partner is away working and I have two young girls to look after - which they keep me busy in the day.
chin up and keep us updated.

Cathy xx

Hi Cathy & Shari
The waiting is awful as you will always fear the worst. I hope your results come back negative for cancer but they will be what they will be. If they are cancerous you will find that you can start to focus a bit clearer as at least you know what you are dealing with. You will still have dreadful thougths and worries but once treatment starts you feel more positive about dealing with it all.
God! It sounds like I am diagnosing you with horrible things - sorry. I truly hope you have no cancer but we are all here for you no matter what. It’s a very big family.
good luck
mandyj.x

I thought I was coping fine with this waiting game it’s only been 2 days since I had the biopsy… But suddenly this afternoon I just had a mini panic attack and been in and out the bathroom all evening alternating between sick and the squirts… I think it must be because it’s rained so badly here today I haven’t been able to get out in the garden and I was supposed to meet a friend for coffee and cake but neither of us drive so we cancelled, so I had time to think … Bad idea my brain wasn’t built for thinking… Have decided I must keep busy till I get my results even getting bad news will give me something to focus on and if it’s good news I can celebrate… Oh my I sound such a wimp I fully realise now why everyone says the waiting is worse than knowing. I wish everyone who is waiting all the best xx
Helen