Waiting times for Lumpectomy & SLNB results

Hi All

Having Lumpectomy & SLNB surgery tomorrow, how long does it take for your results to come back?? :thinking:

Xx

Hi @kat-jack

I had a double lumpectomy in July and it was 4 weeks before my results were in. They had said it would be 2 weeks but it was at the beginning of summer so staff on holiday impacts results.

Different hospitals may have different timescales so I would ask tomorrow. I wish you the best for your surgery. Rest as much as you can, take the pain medication ( you may need senna or lactulose as they can block you up :poop:) and do your exercises. Don’t worry if you can’t do them all straight away, take your time, you’ll get there in time.

Take care :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Hi
My results came back in 2 weeks. When I got home I went to bed and put a pillow either side of me so I couldn’t roll over in my sleep ( I always sleep on my side ) I slept really well. I would also say do the exercises and keep taking the painkillers. Hope it all goes well tomorrow and with any follow up treatment.

1 Like

Mine was a few weeks

Hi Kat-Jack
I think it depends on the hospital. I was told 3 weeks, but the first time (last July) was under 2.5 weeks and now this time I’ve already received my follow up appointment letter and it’s 4 weeks today!
Just ask them tomorrow and make a list of any other questions you may have - it’s so easy to forget! Even if you do forget to ask, you can always call a member of the breast care team to find out for you post op.
Hope all goes well with the surgery x

I had similar surgery on 2 Jan and my results took 5 weeks (it was supposed to be 4 weeks). Thankfully after all of the waiting and fearing the worst everything was ok. Easier said than done but try not to overthink everything like I did!

Yes, as others have said, it really depends on the area. I was told 2 weeks but I was incredibly lucky and only waited 9 days! That is in Yorkshire x

1 Like

Thanks for your replies I have been told 4 weeks. X

1 Like

Just wanted to say that you might not be in pain post surgery. I had a lumpectomy and a mastectomy and I didn’t need a single pain killer. I was amazed but apparently it is not uncommon. My results took more than 4 weeks, they are affected by staffing levels and differ by area. I wish you all the best with your treatment x

1 Like

I was told 3/4 weeks but actually it was 2 weeks and 2 days! My surgeon said they usually over predict rather than under predict to avoid additional stress.

1 Like

I’m still waiting and my results appointment is 6 weeks from the surgery. I have 9 days to go. I’ve found the waiting very hard. I hope you get your results much quicker! Dont worry about the surgery. I had the same and it went very well. No pain and it has healed very neatly. Good luck. X

2 Likes

Hi bluesatsuma
I hope you have finally had your appointment and that you had some good news <3
My follow up appointment has been pushed back another week so it’s 5.5 weeks for me now - I’ll find out how it all went at the end of the month. The waiting really is long and everything on hold until then…
Are you still feeling tiredness after the op? I seem to get to about 3.30 every day and run out of energy and even struggle to string sentences together sometimes! I went back to work on Monday (just mornings) but I’ve only been fit for napping when I’ve got home…
I seem to remember it being similar the last time, but I can’t remember how long it continued for.
Best wishes x

Hi @mir-ie. I’m sorry it’s now another week. I had my results on Monday but unfortunately they didn’t get clear margins and the lymph node had a macrometastasis of 4mm. So I’m having another operation on the 19th. Then I’ll be waiting again. After that chemo or radio depending on what they find. Hope the waiting goes fast for you. I’m going back towork to help keep busy x

2 Likes

Dear bluesatsuma
I am so sorry to hear about the findings and results and wish you all the best with your upcoming operation <3
tbh this is what I am trying not to be worrying about myself, trying to stay optimistic, but there is so much uncertainty with our journeys.
Thinking of you and sending strength x

2 Likes

Thinking of you too @mir-ie. Stay positive and keep busy. Let us know how you get on x

1 Like