Warm breast and itching months after radio

Hi All,

Diagnosed Grade 3 invasive ductal carcinoma in June 2023. Had Lumpectomy, SNLB, 6 x chemo (FEC) and 10 days of radiotherapy. Now on Herceptin and Tamoxifen.

The past few days I appear to have a hot, burning feeling in the same breast. It feels like it’s on fire/swollen (although I have still felt heaviness from surgery) but I am really freaking myself out about the warm to touch (feels burning not touching), and inflammatory breast cancer running through my mind.

I finished radiotherapy the start of December 2023, so 3.5 months ago, and had no real issues during or after this, until now. Could this be a delayed effect or am I best getting it checked out ?

Thanks in advance, frustrating how this makes you paranoid about everything.

Hi @lanna19 I think we can all identify with your concern when something happens that you weren’t expecting - the mind does go to a series of What Ifs. Generally things are never as sinister as we fear.

In case you haven’t seen it, this is the BCN information about rads and the after effects which may be helpful. It does say in there, and I would echo this, if you have late side effects you should discuss with your breast cancer nurse practitioner. The SE aren’t normally serious but, even if it’s only for some reassurance, it’s worth the discussion. In my experience, they want to know every little wrinkle for the record.

https://breastcancernow.org/about-breast-cancer/treatment/radiotherapy-for-primary-breast-cancer/side-effects-of-radiotherapy/

Try not to worry but call your BCNP for advice.