Weight gain in short space of time ?

Hi everyone,

I know this is common but I’ve put over 2 stone on in the past 9 months. I’m the heaviest I’ve ever been.

I’m on slimming world and being quite strict but still gaining weight. It’s just another reason to be fed up with life.

does anybody take any diet pills that help?

I don’t think diet pills work. I found I lost weight steadily from my diagnosis by losing one pound a week. I ate regularly just smaller quantities, and more fruit, salad, veggies and fish. I don’t eat snacks. I have muesli brekkie at 7, lunch at 12 poached egg on toast every day with one slice of toast, main meal at 6 pm salad, boiled new potatoes, smoked mackerel, salmon or ham, small quantities of these. A cherry bakewell tart for pud or a Jaffa easy peel orange.

i do a forty minute walk every day with the dog at 2.30 pm that’s good for looking at the countryside but you may not have this luxury. I also do a lot of gardening and write a gardening article every other month for the parish magazine. I volunteer for traffic controls in the village to encourage slow driving near the school. I stand up every Monday morning as a volunteer at the local museum, and I go swimming about once a week plus do some exercises using machines at a gym. I still feel bored a lot of the time but it keeps my mind off eating and getting cancer back. I’m selling my mother’s house too to pay for her care fees. That’s a nightmare as the house is two hours drive from me. 

Maybe that’s why I am slimmer than I’ve been for a long time.

Seagulls

I can see you have had a secondary cancer diagnosis recently maybe that’s what’s making it difficult to lose weight. I am not surprised - you may be comfort eating. Have you got any access to counselling and or funds to make life a bit easier? I have claimed some attendance allowance which is funding the cost of going to a gym for swimming and exercise classes/use of exercise machines. That’s helped motivate me more.

Seagulls

Hi Laura,

There’s a similar article on the private secondary group.

I had that and got an online cancer personal trainer that I found on one of the Facebook groups. She got me back into exercise and really supported me physically and mentally.

Are you able to exercise? Cardio will definitely help and it has made me feel better too. I swim once a week and try and do a cycle fit class. Then I do more gentle exercise in between like walking and yoga. I find it helps with my sleeping and the yoga with my aches and pains.

I hope you find what works for you.

I hear you, weight struggles can be really tough. I’ve been there myself, feeling frustrated despite putting in the effort. While diet pills might seem tempting, it’s important to be cautious about what you put into your body. Have you considered looking into holistic approaches?

I found some great insights on managing weight and overall health on a website called sunlightrecovery.com.