I’m due to start my fourth cycle, but really struggling with weight gain, and I’ve not changed my diet, has this happened to anyone else and guidance needed please, I’ve never carried weight and it’s starting to get me down! I hope it’s temporary? TIA X
Hey @buddies
If you’ve not changed your diet at all, could it be that you’re just less physically active in general than you would be if you weren’t undergoing chemotherapy? Even if your calories going in are the same as usual, if your calories out have decreased, this would generally result in those unused cals ending up being stored as fat on the hips, bum, thighs or wherever you’ve found it likes to land on you. The good news is that if this is the case, you should shed the extra layers once normal service has resumed.
Hope this helps! x
Hiya
I feel your pain. I ballooned on docetaxel. I think it is the steroids. I did change diet to one of mainly chocolate and cheese due to change in tastebuds, so I do hold some responsibility. However, much of this will be bloat and the bloat will go once you finish chemo. I had my last infusion in February and it took around 3 months to lose the moon face and puffy legs.
I’m on herceptin now and still dealing with terrible bloat and my stomach is massive. Again, this is fluid retention from the drug and I should see this go around 4-7 months after I stop the treatment if my research is accurate.
A friend of mine who had chemo had a sudden dramatic drop in weight and is back to her normal size, 9 months after chemo. She described it to me as the body sort of knowing it isn’t in panic mode any more so it ejects the excess weight. I can’t vouch for how true this is, but it is giving me hope at least.
It is really distressing, but sadly just another thing we have to tolerate as we travel this path.
XX
Thank you both, I just needed some reassurance x
I only got one docetaxel so can not know how would happen if it is my fourth yet