What helps you feel better on more difficult days?

Walking, music,seeing friends ,yoga,or sometimes just pottering in the house doing some housework then resting as when Im feeling tired need to pace myself , so getting into my Pj’s and getting my pillow and lazing on the settee reading a mag or watching tv can help.Being kind to myself and being patient with myself also helps xx

Aww I love this hun…I sometimes feel like it’s just living one continual nightmare that I wake up to everymorning.It has only been 3 mo the for me but people don’t understand when I say I feel I still feel like I have it as it never goes away…dont want to feel like this for thr rest of my life xx Rachael

I would like to have a copy. i an 10 months after surgery, radiation on anestrozole. i had depression and am trying to moce on. going to support groups anxiety classes therapist anything I can think of. i just dont seem to be able to.get back. anyone had same and what made the difference. i.want to be back to myself. thank you peole say it must come from inside you.

I wish I could do as others do when down. I had severe depression before diagnosed with BC and have to get more scans. Today I can’t cope anymore and I know tomorrow is another day. I don’t know where I have gone . I have forgotten I once enjoyed life. This is the 3rd time I’ve had BC. Remember ladies to check your scar if you’ve had a mastectomy .

Aww Clarence,
It’s a hard battle isn’t it…thinking of you xx

Hi  to all you Lovies,

Hi to my dear Rachy and to you Clarence. What are you meaning “check your mastectomy scars”, that you’re 3 x BC were around those?? Awwww, girl, I’m so with you on depression. Yours being pre BC, my being post, but not just from the BC, loada other losses traumas since. In fact the BC, or chances of it coming back, isn’t a prob to me these days. I can’t do ANYthing about it if it does, so no longer worry. My depression is more life threatening in fact. I can think to do all sorts of stuff the evening/night before, but wake up to emptiness and despondency again, so often end up doing none of them. Often nothing in fact, staying in bed. Nastily debilitating. Sometimes think dealing with physical stuff is easier. Easier to treat, that is.

I’ve posted all sorts of things/suggestions on here, when I’ve been in a more “up” state. All of them fail me when I’m in a massive “downer”.

However, it’s still a help to come on here and read others suggestions and share struggles. So that in itself can “Make you (me) feel Better”.

Keep posting Hun, even if you’re feeling miz. Loadsa lovely ladies on here and elsewhere on this lovely Forum - group sympathy. Just a small lift in a day can make a diff - yeh?? 

Leigh - You still lookin in here? How you doin? Better I hope?

Hope ALL of you are feeling better soon.

Loadsa love, DoolallierbythedayDelly xxxxxxx

Hi Delly
When my downer come they are debiliertating too.
But my fears are always of recurrence.
It’s not logical really is it? What will be will be, but some days it just won’t go away.
Onc days 80 percent of ladies with my results will not get recurrence…i know they quite good odds but it is still so real and scarey for me.
To get back to life pre BC hey!..a magic wand x

hi ladies this is a good thread that i can really relate to! im a week off finishig rads and i know what you mean about how it can give you so many good days then your totaly overwhelmed and it feels like grief pain to me it hurts thats when its building up a bit ,i have found to not fight the emotions that come over me as it makes it worse being nice to yourself which is hard to keep up but learning to ,and just let yourself feel the emotions and know they are normal allow yourself to cry and dont feel guilty for doing it ,comfort myself by cuddling a pillow which may seem funny but it really works treat it as you ,listening to music the more you try to get it off your mind the harder it is just allow yourself to feel what you feel ,the emotional bit is the hardest i know so i send you all hugs ladies and hope you are haveing a better day little fairy xxxxxx

I agree with you dellymuslcis my savior to I put in earphones and blast away I find listening to lyrics gives me clarity I forget what I’m thinking of before and sing along . I’ve been to watch the greatest showman and downloaded the soundtrack . I am also fulfilling my bucket list today I walked to the top of the mountain and went down on the sledge whoopee . I feel now I can do any challenge I want and not be scared faced breast cancer and nothing scared me more. So I’ve realized I have become an adrenaline junkie just thought I would share my thoughts on music it HELPS

Throughout my diagnosis and treatment (where physically possible) I have found excercise is the key for me. I walk with my dog and find this quiet time to clear you mind in the open fresh air and elements helps both physically and mentally. Looking around at the wonderful outdoors can make you feel lucky to be alive and realise how far you have come. It can also make you sad that this has happened to you and fearful of the future but I think reflecting like this can also be good as you are acknowledging and expressing your fears too (?). This is one big rollercoaster of emotions and these emotions can change a lot from day to day - I don’t think this will ever go away. No one way of coping is correct, it’s what you can find to do to help you through. I also attend (and always did pre diagnosis) an Indoor Cycling class - even on my darkest days I pushed myself to get out of bed and go. Being with another 20 cyclists or so (who were so supportive) was again so benefical for mental well being as well as physical well being. Don’t be fooled I struggled on many days when I could only focus on Cancer in my thoughts and just wanted to weep (I still have days like that but they are less). The fears and anxiety and the person you are now will, I feel never go away, we have changed. We just need to learn to live with this change as best we can day by day and find something that can make us feel good. We have to accept we can’t feel good all the time but we can’t feel bad either. For me, excercise has been my salvation.

Nothing!  I just get on with feeling miserable and try not to take it out on others.  Why shouldn’t I feel down. I have incurable cancer.  If there’s anything that depresses me, it’s the current “cheer up and put sky-diving on your bucket list” mentality.  I read an in-depth interview recently with a well-known author who seemed to have a very similar condition to mine.  They included her detailed agenda for “not giving in”.  It included running on the spot for 30 minutes and a 30 minute walk every day.  Sorry?  It must just be me then - hobbling along and struggling to breathe.  Even my hospice team originally mentioned the benefits of exercise in spite of the fact that previous treatment had damaged my sciatic nerve and I now rely on a walking stick.  I have had to black list some acquaintances who repeatedly want to have the “have you tried this?” conversation.  

What I have done, however, is come to terms with not being here.  And it’s very peaceful.  And actually I don’t have miserable, frightened days.  Thankfully many people with cancer nowadays are either in remission or have a long-term quality of life.  But for those of us not in either category, we should be allowed to manage our loved ones expectations, not give them false hope, not consent to treatments that make us feel worse and just pull the duvet over ur heads if we want to.