what is the highest source of dietary estrogen in a typical diet?

1. dairy (approx 75%)

2. eggs

3. meat/fish

Increased dairy consumption has been associated with increased endometrial cancer risk, however the association between breast cancer is mixed.

Source references:

academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/80/1/5/4690293

Hello Kas,

You seem to write a number of posts  citing research or other advice regarding diet and nutrition.  I am interested in hearing your personal journey on such matters.  For example,  the lifestyle and diet changes you have made if any,  and how you feel that this has helped you in terms of cancer and any treatments that you have undertaken.  Of course it is up to you but it may be helpful  when diet seems such a confusing hot potato, especially for oestrogen receptive cancer.  Apologies if you have already posted about your personal journey and I  have carelessly missed it. Perhaps you can supply the link to any post/posts.

Best Wishes to you,

Chick x

Hi,

I am a little surprised to see your post, as it seems ill informed.

Estrogen and and dietary estrogen (phytoestrogen).

The jury is still out, whether a diet high in phytoestrogens for those who have been diagnosed with an estrogen positive breast cancer - is bad or ok.

All milk (whether from cows, goats, or humans) naturally contains small amounts of various hormones, including estrogen and progesterone. Because hormones like estrogen are fat-soluble, the level of hormones is higher in whole milk than in skimmed milk.

It is worth noting that EU and UK produced meat is likely to contain far less hormones than that of the US, for example. Starting in 1981, the EU adopted restrictions on livestock production limiting the use of natural hormones to therapeutic purposes, banning the use of synthetic hormones, and prohibiting imports of animals and meat from animals that have been administered the hormones.

Yes, eggs do contain phytoestrogens, but please note: Mainly in the yolk (30-40ug) rather than the white (~5ug phytoestrogens /100g). These amounts are small compared to foods with actually significant levels of phytoestrogens, i.e. soy (600x the amount/100g).

May I suggest you keep your dietary advice to yourself, as there are usually two sides to the story.

Should you be advocating a solely plant based diet - this could be equally deemed to be unhealthy.