What next?

What next?

What next? Hi all. I’m still reeling from the news. went to breast clinic yesterday convinced I had another cyst and that it would be aspirated and I would be fine. The scan showed that the lump was solid and so I had two biopsies done .The results for the needle one came back quickly and i was told thatt he lump was cancerous and i am looking at atotal mastectomy. I have to go back tomorrow to find out more… yesterday was funny, sort of dreamy and i had lots of positive energy. today i just keep crying and feeling tired, trying to keep strong for my family but it’s not easy. just being able to write this down helps. so many questions , don’t know where to start. the surgeon has already mentioned breast reconstruction, has anyone had that done? I The whole thing seems pretty terrifying at the moment.
Thanks for being there.

Hello marnia so sorry you have had to join us.
there is always someone here if you want to talk…it does help.
i had a lumpectomy so can not help you about reconstruction but i am sure one of the other ladies will be able to help you.
Yes the whole things is very terrifying…and trying to be strong is tiring so don’t beat yourself up if you don’t feel full of positive energy…you will experience a lot of different emotions in the coming months.

take care
karen

For Marnia Hello Marnia,

Welcome to the forums where I am sure you will get lots of advice and support from the many informed users of this site.

Being newly diagnosed you may be interested in BCC’s new information pack which is full of useful information and advice. To order a free copy follow the link below.

breastcancercare.org.uk/content.php?page_id=7514

If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact our freefone helpline on 0808 800 6000, the lines are open Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm and Saturdays 9am - 2pm. The service is run by breast care nurses and trained staff who have experience of breast cancer issues.

I hope the above is of help to you.

Kind regards
BCC Host

Hi Marnia

I was diagnosed 3 years ago and, like you, I thought it was just another cyst as I’d had a few before and this lump felt the same. However, it turned out to be cancerous and I’ll never forget the sheer panic I felt when the dreaded diagnosis was made. I didn’t have a mastectomy but had a wide local excision, lymph node sampling (2 were cancerous), chemo and rads. It was a dark time and my mind went into overdrive as I imagined all the worst possible scenarios.

However, here I am 3 years on and enjoying life to the full again. Things can never be the same once you receive a diagnosis of a life-threatening illness but life does become “normal” again, albeit a different “normal”.

You will receive lots of advice and support through this site and we can all relate to how you are feeling right now. It’s early days for you but believe me, you will somehow find an inner strength to help you get through this difficult time.

Regards

Jo

reply Hi Marnia

Welcome to the forum. You will be feeling lots of mixed emotions right now. Try to write down all the questions you can think of to ask the surgeon and, if possible have someone with you.

I was diagnosed last July and had a total mastectomy and immediate LD reconstruction, with no implant. This is where they take the muscle from your back for the reconstruction.

I found the after effects of the operation uncomfortable but not particularly painful; as you get strong painkillers in the hospital and by the time I came home I only needed milder ones.

I have now finished treatment (chemo and rads) and my breast and back have settled down really well, some discomfort at times. I hope to go back in October/November for a nipple reconstruction.

The whole thing does sound really terrifying at first but I felt once I had the operation and started treatment that I was at least moving forward and took each stage a step at a time.

Please don’t be afraid to ask questions, and I found the breast cancer nurses very helpful.

Please let us know how you get on and know that we are all wishing you well.

Love and take care
Thistle

Hi Marina I was where you were end of November 2006 and was just as frightened - I also had thought it was another cyst as I had had two previously and so my husband and I were quite chilled about going to get the results of the biopsy - we were even discussing where we could go for lunch after the appointment so sure were we that the result would be fine. But alas no it was not and I too went through all the panic tears and being strong for family that you are going through. I had a mastectomy and immediate LD reconstruction end of February. It was scary but I got through it and feel well now - I am exercising going for long walks with the dogs and look and feel well. My point is that as scared as you must feel now there is an end to that and it comes quicker than you would think. The waiting for results is the worst time; once treatment starts you do feel as though the problem is being sorted. Best of luck with the treatment. Treatment is temporary and even the worst ones has been described by some of the ladies as “doable”. The mastectomy and LD reconstruction was not as bad as I thought it would be and I am quite happy with the result and I am glad I had it done. Breast caner is not a curable disease but it is a treatable disease. 6-12 months of treatment in exchange for the rest of our lives doesn’t seem so bad.

I really do wish you all the luck and strength to get through the treatment as I am sure you will. You will amaze yourself with your inner strength but don’t try to be a superwoman - rely on family and friends who want to support you and use the breast cancer nurses to detangle all the information about the treatments. Good luck and keep us posted of your progress. Chloe xx