Who so many biopsies taken today?

Hello ladies,

Wow - this has all happened so fast…I had my first mamo done (as just turned 50) a couple of weeks ago. Got a recall letter a few days later to attend a different clinic for further tests.
Went today and was told that further tests were needed because of “clusters” seen in both breasts on the initial mammogram. I then had a further mammogram done - this time a “magnified” one. Clinic Dr reviewed those. One was fine, the other contained a few really tiny bright white spots - probably calcification the Dr said, and possibly nothing to worry about, but they would need an ultrasound and a biopsy to get more detail. Just before the biopsy I was told they would need to take 6-10 tissue samples. After 6 had been taken, they took the samples off and must have examined them in some way because they then told me that “the pathologist would like some more samples taken”. They then took the additional 4 samples.
Of course I’m now worried sick by them needing to take even more biopsies than the original 6 that were planned.
Does anyone know why they needed to do the extra ones?
Everything just seems to be escalating far faster than I’m able to deal with things and I’m struggling at times to keep my panic under control!

Hi lo-la.
I had exactly the same as you…called for mammo back in Sept 2013. (I was 49 at the time). Got a recall 2 weeks later at a different hospital. Had more thorough mammo on right breast, ultra sound (found no lumps) but they did see tiny white specks that looked like califactions but consultant did not seemed to concerned. I was a nervous wreck!!! Then had core biopsies on 5 areas and they did say if they didn’t get the precise area, they would have to do it again. Luckily they got it all first go. Then they made an appointment at my hospital to discuss results, would be about 10 days. Those 10 days were the longest of my life. You think of all types of things but I kept remembering this consultant saying she didn’t think it was anything to worry about - guess I put my trust in her after all she does this for a living! Lol. Anyway, on the day of the appointment she called to say no sign of breast cancer was found, just contained califactions and to go and enjoy my day!!! Will get call back in 3 years but I am always breast aware.
I think there is a link by Lucy about califactions on ‘here we go again’ subject. It should put your mind at rest (but probably won’t ). I know only too well the waiting game is s…t.
Hope this is helpful. When do you get your results? I am here if you need to ask any thing else. They are being thorough with you because they cannot leave any stone unturned, and you wouldn’t want them too. Take care
Katie xx

Hi Lo-la,

Katie is absolutely right. I’m sure the reason for the additional biopsies was to ensure they have captured the right cells. Better to have too many than too few…

Here’s the link for the leaflet on calcifications, which should help. breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/breast-awareness/benign-breast-conditio…

The majority of calcifications are innocent, so try not to worry yourself too much.

P.S, I’ve just copied and pasted this link from the other thread (Need someone to talk sense into me), so if this doesn’t work, you can pick it up from there.

Best wishes, try not to panic! Love Mel. xxx

Hi Katie / Mel,

You lovely, lovely ladies. Thank you so much for taking the trouble to reply to my plea for information. You are both quite right and I hadn’t really thought of it like that until I read your replies: it is of course definitely better to have too many samples taken than too few…

I think I’m just panicked and made paranoid by the smallest thing at the moment. By the smallest suggestion that there might be something untoward. I was really scrutinising all of the clinic staff that I came into contact with yesterday. I kept thinking - do they know something I don’t know. I was scrutinising them for little clues. Ridiculous I know because I actually think the clinic staff were very open and honest with me.
This whole thing is just completely new territory to me though and I feel completely at sea.
I have been reassured by the leaflet on calcifications but what I really want to hear is a negative result from the biopsies. I return to the clinic on Monday afternoon. they won’t give results over the phone.
This time I’ m not going to wear any mascara that day. Just in case.

Hey Lo-la…chin up girlie. It is a worrying time for everyone. Like u Ive been told its calcifications but they need to know if its good cells or bad cells. Like u I had 4 core biopsies…after the mammogram that followed they told me the breast had moved and they needed to do it again…so they took 8 four of which were tested. After my inconclusive result…I have a date for a second biopsy in 3 weeks time. The waiting is the worst part. Am not asking to jump the queue but girls facing what could turn out to be cancer…shouldnt have to chase the hospital for appointments…I am worried but I feel ok. Good luck with your results xx

Hi Lo-la

I read on the internet that taking 6-10 samples is normal. I’m in the same boat as you. Hi shipmate!

We read so much into every thing that happens, every expression on the faces of the staff. Naturally we assume the worst but the statistics are encouraging…

In the meantime I’m relying on my relaxation CD to help me take my mind off it (for a nano second!!). There are several "Minfulness"CDs & books available. It’s also great to read the posts & know there are lots of people out there sending cyber love & support so here’s a cyber hug!!:smileywink:

Cog