Why is ribociclib taken alongside an aromatase inhibitor

Hello,

Please can I ask why ribociclib is always prescribed alongside an aromatase inhibitor? I was wondering if it was because it’s only effective with an aromatase inhibitor, whether it just hasn’t been trialed without aromatase inhibitors, or for some other reason?

I’m supposed to be taking both from next week. I will comply with the medication, of course, but aromatase inhibitors seem to have a terrible reputation (whether justified or not I don’t know). I can get my head round it if I know the proper pharmaceutical reason for taking them together.

Thank you very much in advance.

1 Like

The way I understood it is that Ribociclib and aromatose inhibitors work in different ways that complement each other. I would suggest you phone breast cancer now to ask a nurse as they are experts, or ask your expert BCN.

Side effects differ per person. Hopefully you will sail through it. Ribociclib has a very good reputation. Fingers crossed it will work very well for you.

Hi blueparakeet

Thank you for your post.

It’s natural to have questions about the treatment that’s been recommended for your individual situation.

Ribociclib in combination with an aromatase inhibitor is a common first line of treatment for some people with a diagnosis of secondary breast cancer. It can also be given in combination with the hormone therapy fulvestrant to those who’ve already had hormone therapy for secondary breast cancer.

Aromatase inhibitors (AI’s) used on their own may be an effective treatment for some people with hormone receptor positive secondary breast cancer. However, clinical trials have shown that in certain situations, adding the targeted (biological) drug ribociclib to an aromatase inhibitor can make treatment effective for longer than just using an aromatase inhibitor alone.

You can talk to your treatment team before starting treatment about your concerns and how any potential side effects can be managed if they happen. It’s also important to report any side affects you experience which affect your daily life. Your treatment team will then be able to assess these and can suggest ways they can be managed.

If you haven’t already done so, you may find our information here on managing the side effects of hormone therapy’ a useful read.

We offer a range of free supportive services for anyone who has had a diagnosis of breast cancer, including those diagnosed with secondary breast cancer which you may be interested in. They include face to face and online courses and events. Our living with secondary breast cancer meet up groups allow people to connect and share experiences with others who understand what they’re going through, including concerns about side effects of treatment.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000. If you have hearing or speech difficulties prefix our number with 18001 and the call will go through Relay UK. Our helpline has access to telephone interpreters if language translation is required.

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back .

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm

and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Heidi

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.