Will it make any difference?

Hi,
I’m awaiting further investigations into likely bone metastases.
I’m wondering if dietary changes such as drinking green tea, eating dark chocolate and berries, fasting and giving up alcohol can slow down progression of Mets in the same way that they may prevent recurrence of primary bc.
Hoping for your thoughts or advice you have been given xx

2 Likes

Im sorry about the situation you’re in at the moment. Dr Liz O’Riordan has podcasts about diet/cancer info etc that you may find useful. From everything I’ve looked at (and I’m no expert - have just been looking at trusted sources), dietary changes that you have outlined don’t have a direct link to slowing anything down. I haven’t seen any strong evidence of this or heard of it anywhere. However, it is important to stay as fit and healthy as you can and making some healthier dietary choices and cutting alcohol down certainly won’t do any harm. It might be useful for you to phone the helpline to speak to a nurse though as they’ll have more experience/may be able to offer more advice?

1 Like

Thank you for your reply xx

1 Like

Hi, sorry about the situation.

I sometimes look at this site for food and breast cancer, it is reliable (and cover primary and metastaticbreast cancer):

Alchool is not good in big quantity for any kind of breast cancer, but especially to mostly avoid for Er+. I have Er+ and sometimes i do drink a small beer :grin:

Other than that a ealthy diet, low in saturated fat, and rich in veggies and legumes should be the best I read…and exercize.

Good luck and best wishes for everything!!

1 Like

Thank you Amel, :pray:
Yes, I used that site during my primary treatment and found it very useful.
I’ll have another look at it.
My alcohol intake has been creeping up since lockdown and I didn’t do anything about it as I thought I was so far away from my original diagnosis that I was ‘cured’. I regret that now, of course.
The thought of a glass of wine is making me feel physically sick now, although the thought of eating anything at all is making me feel queasy at the moment.
I’m going to try to do more walking, although I have a very lazy lapdog who doesn’t want to walk far. I’ll probably have to go out on my own!
Scared to do any other form of exercise as the neck of my humerus is affected and I’m scared of breaking it.
The waiting for results, scans and hospital referral is horrendous and bringing it all back to me from my primary in 2011.
I managed to go private then, due to husband’s health insurance from his job.
Not so lucky this time, will be NHS all the way.
I don’t want to tell my son or daughter until I know what I am dealing with and have a plan.
Xx

Sorry! I really hope is something else…
I have secondary in liver and bones and sure i will not suggest it to anybody…but yet is 2 year and half I’m actually having aperfectly normal life, i run, i go out, i travel…i didn’t tell it to nobody outside my close family member, mom, dad, husband,
brither, and best friend. I never did an IV chemo either, so nobady can tell.
I didn’t tell nothing to my kid either, he is 3 and half, and i love so much!!
He may of understand something by now i suspect, he is super smart, and observe everything i do…but we never discuss it in person… I prefere this way.
Also when I’m out with friends nobody know, so i have moments that i forget complitely about!

3 Likes

Hi @hope44441
I’m sorry to hear you’re awaiting investigations into likely bone metastases. As already mentioned, please do consider giving our nurses a call on our helpline (0808 800 6000) to chat things through - including talking through dietary changes.

I thought you might find this Facebook Live on diets, supplements and myth busting, that we hosted with Dr Liz O’Riordan recently, helpful - Redirecting...

Wishing you all the best,
Kev

2 Likes

Hi hope44441. I have metastatic bone cancer and would love to think that changing my diet will help but I doubt it. I do try to eat fairly healthy and limit alcohol to special occasions.
Regardless of the outcome of the investigations maybe talk to your oncologist about increasing preventative medicine like adding a bone straightener to your regime.
In my case I had BC originally in 2005 and in 2018 a suspicious area showed on a scan. It was 2 years before I got a diagnosis of a local recurrence and another 3 years before all the suspicious areas on Bone and CT scans was finally determined to be a bone metastasis.
I now think that maybe if I was given another prescription for tamoxifen in 2018 or Xgeva injections in 2020 that I could have avoided the definite bone metastasis.
There were 4 small areas and I had stereotactic radiotherapy at the end of last year and latest scans are hopeful that it worked.

1 Like

Thank you :pray:

1 Like

Hi RainyDay7,
Sorry to hear of your Mets diagnosis.
How are you doing now?
I didn’t have any bone strengthening medication for my primary, even though I had my ovaries removed and was on Tamoxifen then Letrozole for 7 years in total.
I wish I had taken calcium and vitamin D tablets regularly plus carried on with the Letrozole, despite the oncologist saying stopping at 7 years is okay.
I had no side effects so would happily have carried on.
I really hope your stereotactic radiotherapy has worked for you. Can you get it on the NHS?
All the best xx

Hi Kev,
I can’t seem to make the video play via the link. Just the opening screen plus comments below.

Hi again …. Just seen your comment. Hopefully this works

This is the other one I’d mentioned too

2 Likes

Hi Belle1,
Yes, that works.
Thank you so much for taking the time to give me the link to this one and the other.
Xxx

3 Likes

I’m not in the UK so not sure if it’s available there. I was to originally go on CK inhibitor but the mets were not ER positive so they switched to stereotactic radiotherapy.
I have to say I only took calcium D3 when I was taking tamoxifen and later when I started on Letrozole. I have to take it religiously now because it goes with xgeva.
I only ever had joint pain associated with letrozole so can’t tell if it was a sign of the cancer mets or not.
Good luck with your results but even if you get bad news know there’s plenty that can be done.

1 Like

Thank you RainyDay7. Xx

Hi Hope, I was diagnosed 5 years ago, stage 2 (2 nodes positive). My doctor from Dana Farber in Boston told me to have no more than one glass of wine in a week however, I quit drinking cold turkey. It took a while for me to adjust but I am very happy with my decision considering there are many non-alcoholic drinks you can pick from. Also, I have always been a fan of fruit and veggies but I have a difficult time stopping dairy products as suggested by an oncology nurse. Red meat occasionally and no sugar. Vitamin D was recommended by the oncologist as well since it increases the immune system. Let us know if you find any research on this.

1 Like