will wig slow down my hair re-growth?

Hi lovelies

My hair is growing back, hooray! I notice a slight improvement on a daily basis, however at this stage I haven’t yet got an even coverage. Do any of you happen to know whether wearing a wig will have any effect on my hair growing back, eg will it grow back any quicker if I didn’t wear one?

Thanks in advance

Hi Clarabel, I don’t know the definite answer to this but my experience is that without wearing a wig my hair is growing back very thick. I have no baby fuzz that needs cutting. At one time the top left hand side of my head seemed to be bare but it has now caught up with the other growth.
It has grown back white but strangely I do like it.
I finished chemo in May and my hair before chemo was thick and quick growing.
Margaret

Hi,

My hair is also starting to grow back ( I am on my 5th Chemo 3 FEC and 2 Taxotere). I am also wondering if wearing my wig will slow it down. I think the theory of plants, a little sun and fresh air will help it along.
It brings me so much joy in the morning to see my little fuzzy hair growing. The other night my husband came into the bedroom to find me with a headband on, when asked what i was doing I replied my hair (all 3mm) was getting in my eyes. He now declares in insane!!!. Oh well it does they don’t realise how nice it is just to have a little fuzz growing back.

Julie

I got a scalp infection caused by wearing the wig when my hair started growing back. My hairdresser suggested shaving it off again. I couldn’t do this but let him cut it really short and had to use an antiseptic spray and rub in olive oil.

Hi there

I wore my wig while my hair was growing back as I was told it wouldn’t affect growth… and it didn’t.

But my head did get very itchy whilst wearing my wig.

Cecelia. x

thanks everyone

I am finding the combination of my wig and my hair re-growing in this humid weather can get itchy/sweaty and uncomfortable. I go commando at home but like my wigs when I go out. I use my aqueous cream on my head to stop it getting dry.

Does anyone else notice their scalp tingles at night during re-growth, kinda like it did when it was falling out but not quite as painful? Or is it my imagination?

Hi All

I haven’t worn my wig for 4 weeks now and my hair is growing back at speed. I think it is too warm and humid to be wearing it and have found the courage to go ‘commando’.

Anita

I was told that the wig would slow the growth down by another lady who had BC. Not sure how true it is, but there just comes a time when putting the wig on seems odd and not worth it. I stopped wearing mine towards the end of May about 3 months after the last chemo. I now have the beginings of curls at the back, something I had only had as a toddler.

Pauline