Working - Secondary Diagnosis

Hi, after a primary diagnosis back in 2008 I’ve recently found out I’ve got mets in my lung and spine. If all goes to plan I should be getting info on treatment this coming Tuesday.

I’m 56 working full time in a relatively busy and stressful job. They’re being very supportive and have brought in a contractor to cover for me for 6 months so I can “dip in and dip out” depending on how I feel and the treatment. Originally I was told treatment would be operations and/or chemo but it’s now very likely to be targeted drugs and so I have no idea what to do about work. I read about side effects like fatigue, sickness, diarrhoea, pain/aches but as always everyone is different and a lot will no doubt depend on the drugs and how my body deals with it all. We’re all different.

So I feel like I should hang on in there at least for the 6months and see how things go because of the support being offered but I’m really not sure how that will actually work in reality.

I would be interested to hear how many people out there have continued working while having treatment for a secondary diagnosis and what approach you took in the early days. I know alot depends on finances but I just want to know whether I’m being completely unrealistic about the impact of treatment and if I should now just focus my energy on other things in my life!!

Thanks everyone x

3 Likes

Hi,
It’s great that your employer is being supportive. I also have a supportive employer and it has made such a difference. I have now had several lines of treatment, ranging from full-on chemo for 5 months to radiotherapy to immunotherapy and now a different, more tolerable chemo, and each one has had ranging side effects from feeling awful to feeling pretty much normal. I have been able to adjust my working pattern accordingly - always part-time as I couldn’t manage full-time now, but varying working hours and patterns. If you enjoy your work I would make the most of the support offered, don’t be afraid to tell them what you need, and play it by ear depending on how you feel.

Also, just to say that you will find the balance that is right for you. I still work, but I also find time for things that I enjoy, and that is really important too x

Hope it all goes well.
Lisa x

4 Likes

Hi Lisa

Thank you for sharing your experience and really good advice about finding that balance and following how my body feels - makes complete sense.

I hope all goes well with you too
Sarah xx

1 Like

I took six months off as soon as I started treatment. I felt mentally I needed to do this as I was struggling to accept it, I’m an Executive Director leading 26 employees. I tolerated treatment well with minimal side effects so I could have worked during but I knew that I probably wouldn’t be able to give 100%.
After about four months, I started to feel ready to return to work and have been back for six months. My employees do not know my diagnosis, just that I go for treatment every three weeks.
Working is my “normal”, I feel it gives me purpose and a distraction from treatments and the huge weight on my shoulders. I am working full time, sometimes it’s mentally exhausting but I prefer it over sitting at home.

1 Like

Hello,

I was diagnosed de novo in June 2020. I have kept working. I don’t need to money wise, but I’m really glad I have as it has kept me distracted and my head busy with not cancer stuff. I’m on palbociclib. I do get tired, but I can work from home. I do finish early as I have young children and I’ve never worked on Fridays. I’d give it a go and see how you feel. You might want to reduce your days or hours, but see what suits you. There’s a charity called Working with Cancer that might be of interest.

1 Like

Hi, hoping to work too and like you, I probably could give up work but actually I get a lot from it in terms of giving me purpose, stimulation, friendship and to be frank, it’s a much needed distraction right now. Good to hear about other people’s experiences so thank you for sharing.

Not heard about the Working with Cancer Charity so will look them up - thanks for mentioning them.

1 Like

Hi All,

I haven’t posted for a while. I have been on Letrozole, Ribociclib and Denosumab for 2 years. During this time i continued to work full time in a stressfull job as i liked the people and distraction.

Today i found out that i have low level progression so my treatment plan needs to change. I’ll be honest i feel distressed by this news, but not as traumatised as i was by the original diagnosis.

My dilemma now is, do i take some time off work to assess my situation and would my GP sign me off.

I dont want to waste what time i have left working, but I’m single so i need to consider how i pay my bills etc.

I know some people live for a considerable time with cancer, but cannot shake the feeling that i wont be the lucky.

Might be worth a meeting with MacMillan to see what there options there are like ill health retirement.

I’d be tempted to take a bit of time off and see how you feel though. Your new treatment might be manageable or it might not be, but might be best to see how you get on with it.