Worried about returning to work

Pickfords?

Sorry but I donā€™t quite understand your last 2 comments. Can you clarify?

I went back to work quickly. I only had lumpectomy and radiotherapy though. Iā€™m not one for taking time off work so was happy to go back but everyoneā€™s different how they cope with things

2 Likes

Well done, you sound like my type of person.

Jesus, Christ, this employer must be in the public sector.

Wow your lack of compassion is astonishing. You have no idea of anyoneā€™s individual circumstances. Iā€™m amazed you feel this comment and the previous ones are appropriate.

3 Likes

Well done, you.

I am well aware of what I said in my original post which sought advice and reassurance. I have not hurled any abuse. It sounds like youā€™ve been through an awful time but please donā€™t vent your anger and frustration on this forum.

2 Likes

Hi Loobers, I actually wouldnā€™t even bother replying to Teddy271ā€™s comments. They are projecting and taking their frustrations out on any one who will listen. Let them be. All the best with your discussions with your management and your eventual return to work when it is right for you. x

3 Likes

Whatever peoples views on this subject are every response should come from a position of respect and trying to understand peoples individual circumstances . Cancer has a big impact on peoples mental health as well as physical health . Iā€™m sorry some people donā€™t have the support they should do
from their employers / self employed when dealing with this but if you do have that support in place use it if you are not physically or mentally well enough to do the very demanding jobs a lot of people have in the public sector .

5 Likes

Well said @loobers

You are someone who is actively trying to get back to work . I will defend my / your/ anyone else doing a Moving Forward course / getting counselling etc. Before I did the course I wasnā€™t on this forum as I didnā€™t trust them so really had no idea if my feelings about the whole thing were normal ( it turned out they were ) . I remember being at my hairdresser and she told me that when her brother had cancer he worked the whole way through it including when he was having chemo. It made me feel bad at the time because I was off sick and hadnā€™t even had chemo . She wasnā€™t trying to make me feel that way - I just did , but she later told me that 2 years later he had a bit of a breakdown and had to have counselling . So my thoughts are thatā€™s itā€™s better to take the time now if you need it than risk having to go off again in the future , your employers will be much more likely to understand you having time off now than somewhere down the line . Going back before you are ready could cause more inconvenience in the long run .

You know your job better than anyone on here - the physical demands , the amount of responsibility , the number of hours , whether there is any possibility of flexible working or working from home. Depending on your seniority and how you work / what you do some people will have more control over what they do when they go back to work than others . You have had some ( mainly) great responses but one thing to remember is that when you are at home you can do a lot but you are doing it at your own pace . At work you have to work to everyone elseā€™s pace - or at least be able to work up to that .

I had nearly 8 months off - without an initial failed procedure a shoulder injury and a poorly Dad it would have been about half that but nobody at my work felt I was slacking off . The important thing is to keep in touch / keep them informed so that they know whatā€™s going on and it sounds as though youā€™re doing just that .

With love
Joanne. X

2 Likes

Hi,
You are not alone in regards to the mental health issues we face when initially diagnosed and during/after treatment. I finished radiation the end of December. I felt even more depressed, uncomfortable, in pain, fatigued, after than I did during my treatment. Not only that but I have neuropathy in my left arm and hand, lymphedema and overwhelming stress/anxiety about life and finances. Iā€™m not working which makes it worse yet I have days where I can barely wash a dish, use the steering wheel in car, take a shower. Iā€™ve been looking for work but nothing seems to be happening. I started making beaded jewelry when diagnosed in June. Iā€™m going Saturday to meet with a woman who owns a boutique and is interested in seeing my pieces to possibly sell in her store. Letā€™s hope. However, my home life is very difficult. Almost frightening which is even more depressing. My anxiety is through the roof. I donā€™t know which way is up anymore. Iā€™m trying to communicate to my partner but he doesnā€™t want to listen. He calls me using cancer as an excuse. Among many other awful things. I get a full body bone scan January 24th. The day after my 46th birthday. I hope to be cleared. But the oncologist stated the pain Iā€™m experiencing can last up to years. My mental health is declining. My family isnā€™t really there for me (well some are) but Iā€™m not one to ask for help. My poor dog needs to be updated on vaccines but I have no money. If I can succeed with either a job or selling my jewelry, Iā€™ll be able to hopefully pull myself out of this, get Murphy to the vet and then get out as safely as possible. I cry almost every day. Sometimes due to the weight of the current situation. Sometimes itā€™s a song. Sometimes from feeling alone. My friends I had were through work. I was there 11 years and now that Iā€™m not itā€™s like I donā€™t have anyone to talk to. I feel at a loss. Iā€™m a very strong person but Iā€™m also breaking down inside. I pray every single day for good health, happiness and peace of mind. Iā€™ll pray for you and everyone else on this forum for the same. Best wishes. :pray:t3::heart:šŸŖ½

4 Likes

I also got my friends from work and loved my job. I liked the day to day banter and all the politics of the workplace were interesting although sometimes I did feel exasperated by it. It gave me a sense of purpose and a framework. If I got lonely I would ring a friend as I lived alone for years. Vets are very expensive but there are some that will help people who donā€™t have the money to pay full whack. My husband was on benefits for a long time before I married him and we found there were vets who would look after his dog for less.

My husband used to say mustnā€™t grumble every time I said I felt suicidal but heā€™s now got all sorts of health problems including enlarged prostate so I can get my own back if I get fed up enough with him. What goes around, comes around! Not that Iā€™d advise using the milk of human hate too often.

I now have a few volunteer jobs and always go for a walk every day. With all good wishes, Seagulls

1 Like

Are you in the U.K.? If so either the PDSA or Blue Cross will help you with treatment for your dog. Hope this helps. Best to you.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Youā€™ve made some really good points that really resonate with me. As my original post stated I do want to return to work and Iā€™m happy to say I had a really positive meeting at work yesterday so for the most part Iā€™m feeling better about the whole thing :blush:

6 Likes

Wow. Who was it was supposed to be the angry one???

Thatā€™s great, Loobers, and good advice, Joanne. All the best x

1 Like

Hi everyone
I need to ask everyone to keep messages here kind and respectful.
Please familiarise yourselves with our forum guidelines.
Bernard

1 Like

Thatā€™s great :smiling_face:

Xx

1 Like

Hi @loobers

Lots of people contact us on the helpline and via our Ask Our Nurses service because they are concerned about returning to work after treatment for breast cancer. Many of them feel physically able but like you, really donā€™t feel mentally ready to.

You might find our information and these tips on returning to work helpful. A number of our support services, such as Someone Like Me and Moving Forward can also offer support to people starting to think about their return to work.

Please do give us a call our helpline if you would like to talk this through with one of us. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you, you can fill in this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Catherine

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

4 Likes