Would you do Radiotherapy again?

Hi All,

I’m new here.

Very lucky to have discovered a small tumour when investigating general (turns out HRT related) lumpiness.

Lumpectomy all done and dusted with a tidy scar. Sentinel node biopsy clear.

I was on Letrozole from biopsy results but it’s given me a vast selection of side effects so the BCT have agreed I don’t need to do the 5 years they suggested.

They are offering a 5 day course of radiotherapy too. Predict says that the benefit to me would be 0.8 years (surgery only 91%, with radiotherapy 91.8%).

Radiotherapy obviously has its own risks and side effects.

So my question to those who have had radiotherapy is would you do it again? How was it for you? Especially if you had a short course.

Many thanks

4 Likes

I had 5 whole breast treatments and 5 tumour bed boosts. Radiotherapy was sold to me, not as a way to massively increase survival odds, but as an effective way to reduce the likelihood of a local recurrence. Radiologist said that yes, it doesn’t add much in terms of overall survival but can greatly reduce your risk of cancer coming back in the same breast. I am youngish in cancer terms and had an aggressive tumour so it was deemed to be highly worthwhile in my case. She admitted there might be limited benefits for much older women (I think she was talking late 70s/80s) and lower grade cancers.

That said, 8 months on from treatment, I’m not sure if I would go through it again. I have persistent swelling and discomfort in the radiated breast and I disliked the whole process. I even dislike the tiny tattoo reminder on my sternum even though I am well inked elsewhere! Ask me again in a year and I might have changed my mind if my swelling calms down, I don’t have any other lasting effects, and I have remained cancer free. Maybe then I will feel it was worth the side effects.

2 Likes

Hi @bluetit11

I had five days radiotherapy and my main concern was that I believed if it was given once it could never be given again so almost wanted to ‘save it for later’ just in case. Both the radiographers and oncologist told me it can be given again in some circumstances. I was fortunate not to have any real issues with radiotherapy. My skin was very slightly pink for a short while and my boob seemed firmer and more plump than the other for a few months but that’s hardly noticeable now. I was also really upset about the tattoos at the time but since forgotten about them. I had one weekend two weeks after last treatment where I was shattered and slept a lot but that quickly passed. I know I’ve been fortunate but for me it was absolutely worth it to provide that extra level of protection and would do it again. x

3 Likes

Thank you

Thank you. I’m also youngish (58) and am concerned about long lasting fatigue and burning.

I had it in 2022 following lumpectomy for DCIS. I had no lymph involvement. I then had 5 days RT. Personally I didn’t find it a problem. A little red and tender, and I experienced mild fatigue.

However, others have had more radical reactions, because it all depends on what has been done prior to the treatment.

Wishing you well with it. x

1 Like

Thank you

Hi - I had five sessions from Easter Monday and I haven’t had adverse side effects- I’m tired on and off, but nothing too drastic.
Personally if I had to do it again I would.
I’m 55 and I’ve just started the medication last week - letrozole.
Only you can weigh up the what ifs of side effects and quality of lifestyle

1 Like

Thank you. I hope your Letrozole experience is much nicer than mine.

2 Likes

Hi

I had a grade 1 IDC which was small and removed with clear margins and no lymph node spread. I was left to make the decision about RT as they didn’t think it was necessary. I decided to have the 5 sessions - finished just after Easter . No real issues at all - a bit pink but I moisturised several times a day for a few weeks before and still do so now. I found the process absolutely fine . Initially refused the tattoos so they did temporary ones - these faded too quickly but the 3 I had are not noticeable as they were able to place them very low down .

I still need to decide on Letrozole but am probably not going to . The benefit in my case is very low and the RT gives me some protection against having a recurrence in the same breast .
Good luck with what you decide to do x

2 Likes

I had 20 doses, 15 normal and 5 boosts, after a triple postive BC diagnosis age 36. Other than being annoying, as it was daily for 20 days at a hospital an hour drive away, I had no problems. Skin was fine, no real fatigue either short or long term. I would do it again. Best wishes.

5 Likes

Thanks. I’ll start moisturising now just in case.

Thanks

Hi. I had 5 weeks of daily radiotherapy 20 years ago when I was 50 and really didn’t have any problems apart from a bit of redness etc. I will say my GP signed me off work as he said I had enough other stress ( terminally ill mother and father in law) so perhaps that’s why I didn’t get the fatigue others experience.

2 Likes

Thanks

Hi. I finished 5 sessions this week and the treatment experience was fine. The staff were lovely and it was over quickly. The breathing was probably the most stressful part of it all.

I had a lumpectomy with a flap partial reconstruction 10 weeks previously, and no chemo as nodes were clear. I was told it was to help prevent reoccurrence. I’ve moisturised at least 4 times a day with MooGoo and skin is holding up well so far apart from being a bit pink. However, my nipple is very sore and tender. Fatigue has been manageable so far, but I’ve been warned it could kick in later.

I’ve now been on letrozole for 5 weeks and again, it’s been manageable so far. I’ve found that ear acupuncture (offered by the hospital charity) has helped reduce the hot flushes.

Good luck with whatever you decide is right for you.

3 Likes

Thanks. Fingers crossed for your Letrozole experience

1 Like

I had the 5 treatments - I did have side effects . My boob was red and oedematous but got gradually better without any help required - no breakdown of skin / infection / lasting swelling . It’s really important to moisturise and do the post- op exercises for 3 months afterwards to prevent contraction of the tissues . I was told to keep wearing a really supportive bra as well - I had got a bit blase about this around the house but I noticed an improvement in swelling quite soon after I went back into my proper bras .

I had fatigue as well which hit me like a sledge hammer 3 days after finishing with some associated nausea . The worst of it was gone after 10 days but it lingered off and on for nearly 3 months . It didn’t help that I had an unrelated injury and some family problems to deal with as well . It seems to me that now 4 years later if I get a bug or something I can get an episode of fatigue - but I know how to deal with them . However I’m getting older and also I had a prolonged bout of fatigue years before I ever got cancer after I had labyrinthitis so it could be just me .

On balance I would have radiotherapy again if offered as I was told that most recurrences are local and radiotherapy can help with prevention for up to 6 years . I’m glad I had it as I decided to stop hormone blockers after a few months due to a combination of side effects worrying about exacerbating pre- existing health conditions and a very low predicted benefit . Xx

4 Likes

Thank you

Hi @bluetit11

I finished my 5 days of radiotherapy last week. I’ve just turned 60 and like you had an early diagnosis with no node involvement.

I do have some soreness but that is already fading and the one side is definitely darkening! While the process itself isn’t as engaging as I’d thought it would be each day passed quickly. I was glad to have a weekend break as I had a touch of nausea after treatment 4 but I was fine before and after.

Be aware of any future holiday insurance purchases as it does ask if you declined any treatment.

Would I do it again? Definitely - it’s 5 days of the rest of my life and if it gives me another 0.8 years with my family then I’ll take it :blush:

2 Likes