Wound dressing

Has anyone had an issue like mine? I’m not sure if I’m being paranoid or if it’s something I should be concerned about. I had a mx last week and have had to go to my GP to have the dressing changed twice. The first nurse I saw removed the pressure dressing that was applied when the surgery was done and she replaced it with two long shower proof dressings which had to overlap because the wound is long. This was OK and I was able to have a shower. The next time I saw a Sister who removed the shower proof dressing and put on one long shower proof dressing and a shorter non shower proof dressing. However the sticky part of the shorter dressing is actually stuck to my wound. I’ve got another appointment tomorrow to see the same Sister for a final dressing change and am dreading her removing the sticky part that’s on my wound. Do you think I’m being paranoid? And do you think I should insist on a shower proof dressing all over?
I’m not sure if I’m being paranoid or overly panicky or even if it’s OK for the dressing to be stuck to my wound.

Hi Hamley

It sounds like you’re having a tough time at the moment. Whilst you wait for the other users to reply with their experiences do give the helpline a call and talk things through with a member of staff. Here you can share your concerns with someone who will offer you a listening ear as well as emotional support and practical information. The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

I had waterproof dressings on straight after my mx, but had to have them changed about 3 times in my first week by the district nurse. The last time she changed them my wound dressing came away, so she steri stripped it and placed waterproof dressings over it. Unfortunately this came away and I had it changed again but this time the nurse felt my wound had healed enough to just the waterproof dressings on which stayed on until I went back to see my consultant. This came away fine and the scar had been ok with just the waterproof dressing.

I didn’t have a waterproof dressing at all. I had a bulky dressing that I was told to leave on for 48 hours (kept dry), then remove it, which I did, which was a bit scary! Under that was just steristrips (those little paper strips) placed across the wound.

I was instructed to leave them on until they fell off on their own, but I was allowed to shower, just not have water jetting onto the wound, and pat dry with a clean towel each day.

I also had a little drain in, for each of my surgeries, and was given the great tip of tying an old pair of nylon tights around my waist, and pinning the drain to that, so it didn’t drag or pull, and I didn’t have to worry about it.