Wound leaking

Hi there I had surgery on wed and had a Ductal carcinoma removed and therapeutic manmoplasty on right breast then a reduction on left for symmetry. I was discharged yesterday and have a pico dressing . Last night I realised there was a build up off fluid/blood on r side. Phoned the breast care team this morning but they didn’t get back to me until adter 4pm . After sending photo of the wound by email they said they want me in first thing tomorrow and not to eat anything incase I have to go back into surgery… they assured me it’s fluid that’s leaking and to try not to worry but of course I am now panicking … anyone else had similar experience or have had a pico dressing ? Thanks

2 Likes

I had the liquid aspirated (sucked out in a syringe) under local anaesthetic on the ward. It was a lot quicker than going into an operating theatre and brought immediate relief. I did have to get it dressed daily and packed with some kind of seaweed stuff that healed it from the inside out. That was pretty boring as I had to go to hospital back and forth for about three weeks every day. As I was off sick from work I had all the time in the world plus it was in early January as I developed my wound infection on Christmas Eve…

2 Likes

Thanks Seagulls … Hope you have made a good recovery since then … thankfully everything was fine they changed all my dressings as there was a lot of leakage. Just went into panic mode when they mentioned going back to theatre !

1 Like

Luckily I avoided this and my surgeon was amazed as I joked with him about it all. I much preferred to have a local and know what was going on as it’s less risky and I didn’t have to put up with any more visits to a very badly run operating theatre

2 Likes