Zoladex - benefit vs risk

Hi All,

I was diagnosed with stage 1, grade 3 IDC last summer, aged 34 (a little DCIS also found after surgery). 100% ER+, PR+ and HER2+.

I had lumpectomy, sentinel node biopsy (plus 1 more) with clear margins and clear lymph nodes. Followed by 6 x chemo, then 2 weeks of radiotherapy as well as starting tamoxifen at the same time. Started Herceptin end of December.

My periods stopped during chemo, so zoladex was never really suggested as a treatment. However, my periods returned February after only 6 months, and have been regular since. I’d asked my oncologist about zoladex on their return and he said not to worry for now. I met him again this week and raised it again and he was happy to prescribe it (I think purely because I have kept on about it in a panic) however in my personal circumstances, although the high grade, doesn’t think the reduction benefit would be high, around 1 or 2%. He then spoke about the risks of it, bone density, cardiac related issues, quality of life.

I trust my oncologist, and trust he thinks in my specific diagnosis the little benefit is not worth it, and given the side effects I myself would rather not. But on the other hand, I feel it’s a treatment option I have the option of trying at least.

I guess after the long story my main question is has anyone not been recommended zoladex for ER+ BC?

Thanks in advance and apologies for the long post just wanted to give full background.

Hi lanna, I started Zoladex a year after starting tamoxifen because I was still having periods and like you highly hormone receptive cancer. My onc suggested Zoladex but it was very much my decision, and as you said I felt it was an option open to me that I should at least try. I go for my 4th implant tomorrow and can honestly stay other than more hot flushes than I was having just on tamoxifen I haven’t had any other side effects and certainly nothing that impacts day to day life. We’re all different and react differently to meds, I was really nervous about Zoladex but so far so good. Good luck with the rest of your treatment xx

1 Like

I’ve been on Zoladex for 3 months now. I’m 35 and the main function of Zoladex in my case is to stop my eggs from replicating and protect them.

So far it has been ok, just occasional hot flashes (which are better than my period!). Everyone reacts differently but I won’t say Zoladex impacted my life in any significant way.