Zometa

Zometa

Zometa Hi ~

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in Nov '03, had chemotherapy 4 x AC & 4 x Docetaxel, followed by lumpectomy, and 25 sessions of radiotherapy. My treatment finished on 3 August '04. I have been on Tamoxifen for 2 and a half years and am feeling great, and still work full time.

I have been switched over to Arimidex owing to the fact that I had a polyp in my vagina as a result of the Tamoxifen (this was removed and all is well). I have been taking Arimidex for 2 weeks and feel perfect – probably even better than before!

I had a DEXA test to check for bone density on 3 January and
my breast care nurse rang me to say that my bone density test was OK however they suggested Lifestyle: weight bearing exercises and calcium and Vitamin D supplements. She also said that my oncologist would like me to have a one-off infusion of Zometa, as this has proved to have a good effect on the bones and would strengthen the bones during the time I am on Arimidex, thus preventing osteoporosis.

I have been reading up on the Internet about Zometa and don’t like what I am reading. It looks like there are alot of side effects and I don’t really want to have this one-off infusion.

Has anyone else had this experience or perhaps has heard of anyone in the same position? Is this a regular treatment for preventing osteoporosis brought on by Arimidex?

I would be grateful for any advice.

Many thanks!

DOLLY

Helpline Hi Dollysunshine

Often with detailed enquiries like this our helpline can be the best source of information and support.

You can call the helpline on 0808 800 6000
Monday to Friday 9am-5pm and Saturday 9am-2pm.

The team is able to talk about both technical and emotional issues surrounding breast cancer and breast health.

I hope this helps and please carry on posting to the forums.

Kind regards.

Online Host
Breast Cancer Care

Hi
You’ve got me worried about the side effects of zometa now!!
I started 3 weekly zometa in september and apart from feeling a bit fluey a few hours after the first one I’ve been fine.
What side effects are you worried about?
i’m sorry you are having to make this decision without having all the available information. Please go back and ask your consultant for more info
Hope all goes well
Kate