cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Breast cancer in previous benign lumpectomy spot

8 REPLIES 8
Anita Donkers

Re: Breast cancer in previous benign lumpectomy spot

For mild to severe acne, your dermatologist may prescribe a prescription ointment. This treatment may also be used for more severe acne in combination with other acne medications. Often these ointments and lotions contain Roaccutane. This means they are made from vitamin A. This drug stimulates the production of cells of the top layer of skin, causing old cells to disappear. The renewal of the skin cells makes the pores less likely to become clogged. There are fewer pimples. This gel should be applied thinly to clean and dry skin once a day. They work because they unclog the follicles which allows other medications such as topical antibiotics to work better.

Jeanette1977

Take into consideration the possible side effects when you buy Roaccutane: Sadness, difficulty sleeping, faintness, drowsiness, dry or fragile skin, dry or cracked lips, dry nose, fatigue, headache, hearing problems, herpes, itching, joint pain, liver disorders, menstrual changes, nausea, nervousness, nosebleeds, blood in urine, changes in skin pigmentation, chest pain, decreased tolerance to contact lenses and delay in wound healing.

rmichaela837

I know it's hard to stay calm in such situation, but I would recommend to see a dermatologist first. Maybe it is some kind of acne? Here can find all forms of it: http://accutaneforacne.com/acne/. Just trying to help.

Wahini

I am not in Oxford, I am based in Scotland and I go to work on the second half of the 3-week chemo cycle. I don't know my oncotype, I don't think they use that here but I don't want to know anyway because I am not sure it means much and can add to anxiety. You want to feel in control and pro-active and that why it is easier to go along with all treatments on offer, even though it may not be best for you. I have to decide if I want to have radiotherapy or not, the benefits are marginal, and I am leaning towards not. Difficult to know what is the right thing to do.

I had a friend, she was in her early sixties when she found a lump which turned out to be cancerous. She said she had hurt her breast in the past and believed the injury had started the cancer. She decided not to do anything about it, no surgery, drugs or radiotherapy. That is very hardcore. She found living hard and was ready for it to end. Of course she died within couple of years and she is now burried on a beautiful tidal island in the west of Ireland. Peace at last. RIP Glitter Queen Mariella.

I think if the double mastectomy is because of cancer in both breasts than a higher recurrence rate would make sense if you add up the probablities for each breast.

I do not fast before / after chemotherapy. I have lost a few kilos anyway and I am not heavy to begin with so better to keep some flesh on me to stay strong.

Don't give up Sissy, unlike Mariella I think 60 is way too young to die!

Sissy60

Hello there!

thanks for chemo advice... I’m 60 so feel a bit old to deal with it but they assure me I’m a young 60 whatever that means?!! Like you say it’s all stats and if you as a research scientist don’t get it, no one can!!! I was doing philosophy but stopped since diagnosis as had to miss too much. You’re not in Oxford by any chance?! 

I am convinced scar tissue and the gene changes it makes causes more cancers to occur. I too heard the man Prof Baum on radio regret the screening programme as it’s caused so much unnecessary surgery on innocent breasts! And he was instrumental in starting it. They know it encourages dodgy cell proliferation but like chemo there’s no better alternative. 

My cousin in Australia was obsessed with having her breasts checked as her mum got it in her 40’s. My cousin was 67 when diagnosed over three years ago. She’s a strange one! But she had many procedures and mammos before any diagnosis. Then the dcis which was operated on same as you and given clear result.  Then she was not happy and felt it wasn’t right and less than a year later went back and it was indeed invasive ductal and node affected. So she had the works and insisted on double mascectomy and had chemo (tells me she played croquet throughout!). She couldn’t wait to get rid of them I think. Told her daughter to do it too. She seems totally fine and clearly thinks I’m a weed for wanting to duck out of chemo. It’s cruel for me as I was told I didn’t need it and celebrated by getting a puppy. Mistake! 2 weeks later told I did. The Oncotype results are totally statistics and seem hit and miss. A woman of 34 score (considered high) is fine after 8 years and her coworker had a result of 4 (very low risk) yet had a recurrence. It’s scary really. Research I have seen says that a double mascectomy has a less favorable outcome than single. I don’t know why as it’s stats again. I’m so tired with it all ... do you still work? Got to get flu shot etc it’s like I’m not ill but preparing to be ill for months. Ugh. Have you heard about the starving protocol improving chemo effectiveness and reducing side effects? I will try it as so much research behind it...Valter Longo is the scientist behind it and I know women who did it and it made a big difference. Happy Monday to you:)) it’s a horrible thing to go through isn’t it?! 

Wahini

So what did your cousin do Sissy? Did she decide to just let it be and she is fine now? I don't know. I am a research scientist (physics) but I cannot make sense of it at all. Breast cancer research is all about statistics and decisions about treatment are based on it but it is very difficult to apply those statistics to an individual person and predict indivudual outcomes. It is hit and miss basically. To me it feels like first my mammogram lead to overtreating and few years later my mammogram missed a serious threat. I have very dense breasts so difficult to see through them. I have now had 1-sided mastectomy with immediate reconstruction (implant) and 3 cycles of FEC and 3 cycles of T to go. After that I will be on year of herceptin. This is also preventive, kind of cleaning up rogue cancer cells that may be circulating in my body. The chemodrugs are very toxic and these can do some damage to the body too but they do increase survival rate significantly statistically. So far I am coping well but I never ever want to go through this again! And I still have another breast.

At a time before the internet,I read an interview with a scientist in a popular magazine who did not agree with routine mamograms screenings because he said it lead to many false positives and treating those could start invasive cancers. At the time, 25 years ago, I thought maybe I will not go for that then but I went for my first one anyway because I was scared not to. And I think I will keep doing mamograms of my healthy breast despite my doubts.

Well Sissy, try get as healthy and strong as you can during the weeks before you start chemotherapy. It is probably not near as bad as you think. If you have serious side effect tell your team and they can help you deal with them. I was very sick during my first cycle but they gave me different antisickness drugs for my folllowing two and they helped me a lot.

Sissy60

Hi wahini!

thanks for replying. I’ve heard so many of these stories. There’s also been a few trials on women who have suffered trauma to the breast. On most sites it says no connection but I fell really badly on my breast about 18 months before and I think on top of the copious procedures I had this didn’t help! One Sheffield survey concluded that women who had breast traumas were more likely to get cancer in that spot. My cousin had similar to you! Op for DCIS told it was all fine but she wasn’t happy and luckily she followed her gut a few months later.

Which chemo are you doing? How are you?! I’m starting in 2 weeks and feel I’m on death row waiting for lethal injection I’m so terrified and it’s for prevention (only cos of that oncotype test) so don’t even feel convinced it will be for anything which makes it worse. I’ve already got IBS and reflux and dodgy bladder... at least it’s not summer. I’m down for EC x 3 then 12 weekly Paclitaxel. I will not last the distance and they only used to do 4 for preventative so intend to cut it short...seems quite a few do that with no ill effects. Going to do the starving thing before too!!! Hope it’s going well fir you. They will never admit over zealous interventions can cause changes in gene expression (scar tissue has these changes) and can actually provoke development of a tumour. I’m not a scientist but I know how to research and the evidence is pretty clear!! Warm wishes

Wahini

Hi Sissy, I have developed bc near lumpectomy scar. Two years ago I had 1 cm low grade DCIS which they took out surgically and no radio or chemotherapy. I thought it was ok then, just a scare. A year later I got discharged after clear mammogram but half a year after that I felt a lump under my scar and went to GP for referal. Turned out it was 2.3 cm, grade 3 invasive ductal cancer (on aan extensive bed of DCIS) with 2 lymph nodes involved! At the time (of DCIS) I asked if the surgery of something not yet invasive could kick off a more sinister tumor, seeing there is inflamtion and everything, but of course they said nono they didn't think so. I wonder though. I also had many of the dreaded biopsies, worried about those too. Now I am post mastectomy halfway through chemotherapy).

Sissy60

Breast cancer in previous benign lumpectomy spot

Hi there

i was just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience as I know a couple of my friends with BC have. About 12 years ago I got dodgy mammogram and had core biopsy

which showed not quite normal cells. So had lumpectomy and it turned out to be a lump of scar tissue from a previous needle aspiration! I was obsessed in my 40’s about every lump and getting mammos as my sister had got breast cancer. I then got a misshapen boob from that surgery but nothing much but a lump. 12 years later here I am with a 2cm tumour right in the spot and on end of the scar from that op. It seems more than coincidence to me. Also had oncotype test which came back as 30 so I wasn’t doing chemo and now they want me to. Weirdly the company who do the Oncotypedx gave info out about how non tumour breast tissue near core biopsy scars gave a higher score. So the people doing the tissue sampling needed to be v careful... It makes me think that in my smallish tumour I had three or 4 big biopsy needles in and the scar tissue pushed up my score! It’s not feeling right to me! Scar tissue can turn dodgy... and I’ve read more than once that women with previous benign lumpectomies often go on to get BC later on. Any thoughts on this?! Thanks!