Switching from letrozole and zoladex, to tamoxifen

Hi Ladies

Having been on letrozole and zoladex for 4 years, the consultant is switching me to tamoxifen. The letrozole has caused various issues over the years, so time for a change. Has anyone else been through this? What changing side effects have you experienced?

Sue xx

Hi @Sue C  

Thank you for your post. Sorry that you haven’t had a reply yet, I’m sure someone will be along shortly to continue the conversation. 

In the meantime, feel free to ask any questions to our Breast Care Nurses in the Ask Our Nurses area of the Forum and they can respond to you online.

Best wishes,
Shareena
Social Media Officer

Hi Sue

I switched from letrozole and zoladex in August this year after being on them since November 2019. I had to swap as I gained over a stone and a half in weight, and the more I tried to lose weight the more weight i gained. In addition to this, my joints were agony, i could barely walk up the stairs. I am now on Tamoxifen, which i started in September after a months break from my hormone treatment. The side effects from Tamoxifen for me have been dizziness, very much the same as vertigo and hot flushes. However I have lost over a stone in weight now. i would say that the last 8 weeks for me have not been great due to these side effects. due to the dizziness i am taking anti sickness tablets and for the hotflushes i have just started taking Gabapentin. I am hoping that the symptoms will ease, but they do not seem to have done yet. If they do not subside in the next week i will have to get back intouch with my GP.

Do let me know how you get on with tamoxifen.

Take care xx