8 years and NED

This is for all you newbies out there, and for all those looking for hope.

8 years ago my life fell apart when I was diagnosed with bc. I planned my funeral and a memory box. But I had my treatments and got my life back on track. I had another little blip last year when I had another primary, but now 15 months later my onc feels I am fine, and I agree with him. Back to full time work from tomorrow.
There can be happy ending, you just have to wait, and live one day at a time.

All the very best to you all
Maria

Maria, Thanks , it really does give us newbies hope.Keep up the good work,enjoy going back to work full time tomorrow .
Stay well
Jean xx

Thank you Marial… and well done. It’s great to hear and really helps. I hope in 8 years I can do the same.

Lizzy xx

You are the second lady I have met in the past week who was 8 years down the line from diagnosis. It really is heartening to hear of this. I will be crossing everything for my 5 years later in the year.

Thanks for the post Maria- very encouraging.

Hi Ragamuffin, Cherub, Izzyspain and Tillyboob,
I’m glad I managed to to give you hope. There are not many people here, who are so long down the line because their lives has moved on, and they no longer need the support of the forums. But I do believe we are the majority, so…onwards and upwards.
Take care of yourselves
Maria

Thanks for taking the time Maria. I think you are right in saying that there are fewer positive posts because those who have come out the other side are too busy getting on with life and so don’t post and I also think you are the majority. I’m making a promise to keep in touch with the forum, at least annually, once all of this nonsense is over and done with!

X

Thanks Maria, really appreciate the post

Thanks for posting, Maria. I’m only 2 months down the line from DX and it all feels quite dark at the moment. Posts like yours give me HOPE x

I am 5 years down the line this August and am feeling pretty damn good! This site was a lifeline for me when I was first diagnosed and for a long time after, but as the months and now years have passed I don’t feel the need to vist like I used to - this doesn’t mean that I don’t think about the disease every day - I think I always will do but I am feeling more positive now and I appreciate the little things alot more. I am sending big hugs and lots of positive thoughts to all you ladies who are currently on that horrendous roller-coaster - there can be light at the end of the tunnel xxxx

I am always very pleased to hear good news stories. Please may I ask what stage you were?.

hi i have been NED since my mx 2010, i had a local reccurance three months ago but no further treatment needed,i hope i can say the same has you in 8 years time. thankyou for you positive story .

best wishes

Hi,

I’m another “long-term” survivor. First diagnosed 12 years ago and then had a local recurrence 7 years ago. I too thought my world had ended when first diagnosed, thought I wouldn’t see my little girl grow up, planning my funeral etc. etc. It was even worse when it came back as I then thought well this is it, the end of me. But it was sorted and I am now as fit as a fiddle. You tend to hear only of the bad stories when you are going through this, every time you put the tele on or pick up the paper somebody else has died from it. But for every one who doesn’t make it there are hundreds who do, you just don’t hear about them because they don’t make the headlines. So keep your spirits up newbies because there is a lot of hope out there and treatments are getting better all the time :slight_smile:

lbx157

Thank you so much ladies… It’s great to hear such wonderful stories
I am only one year down the line and while I am physically fitter than I have been for many years due to my new healthy lifestyle (which I ironically stared about six weeks before my cancer reared it’s ugly head) … it’s the stuff that goes on in my head that torments me daily. I am hoping that soon I can reach a place where breast cancer is no longer the biggest thing in my life.
You ladies have given me some hope for the future
Love E x

Hi all,
Another lucky long term survivor here, despite my Onc giving me an initial 50 - 50 chance of 5 year survival - I’ll be 10 years NED come April this year!
I’m still on Tamoxifen but hey - whatever it takes!

Hope lots more of you are as lucky
D x

Hi there E,

Just wanted to say that I too, while phsyically fit, had tons of really bad stuff going round in my head for quite a while. But time really does heal and it will eventually get less and less. I think the trick is to try and fill that space with lots of good things and lots of friends. Take all the help and support you need (don’t feel bad about it, you deserve it). I had to have some counselling and found that really helped. Eventually the cancer will take up less space in your life and you really will enjoy life again. Keep smiling :slight_smile:

Love lbx157

Hi everyone congratulations on being NED for 5 years plus .Thanks also for posting .
Hope you don’t mind me asking but are any of you TN and did you all stop drinking or change the way you eat.Sorry if the questions are too personal ,I’m just finished treatment and I’m trying to get my head around what to eat and also feeling guilty when i have a drink.
Heres to many years NED .xx

Thanks so much for your kind words Ibx
I’ve tried really hard not to let BC dominate my life …we’ve had lots of fun breaks and holidays ( with a “what the hell… we could be dead this time next year” approach to all things financial!!!)
We even got a puppy so I could have something else to focus on and my friends have been fantastic. I also have had counselling which was really very good and I do focus on it less but it is still there taking up a big portion of my head space and I feel that I can’t keep talking about BC all the time to my nearest and dearest.
Anyway …onwards and upwards!!
X

HI Lisha,
Not at all too personal for me!
Congrats on finishing treatment.

I’m not TN and I haven’t changed my diet or (wine) drinking habits at all - I believe that life’s too short to deny myself my pleasures!

I try to eat healthily but have whatever I fancy to eat or drink!

As you say - here’s to many years NED x

Thanks doxey really appreciate you answering ,feels like a real scarey stage when all treatment is finished .You want to get on with things but its sat there on your shoulder .I really cut myself up about everything i eat and drink but like you keep thinking lifes too short so enjoy it .Its lovely to hear that it does get easier as time moves on .
Many thanks Sharon xx