cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cold cap

6 REPLIES 6
riversidedawn

Re: Cold cap

I cold capped 14 times and it was definitely worth it. My hair thinned but I still have it. Miraculously I kept most of my eyebrows and lashes too. 3 x fec and 11 x taxol. Good luck! X
msmcann

Heather's Hair

Hi If you don't get on with the cold cap - I was never offered the option - I used a charity called Heather's Hair. They provide hair weaves you wear under a hat or scarf so it looks like you have some hair still. I can not tell you how much I loved mine and it saved my sanity. Good luck. www.heathershair.co.uk

Tinkerbell72

Hi I have today used the cap 3 times and although it painful in the fact it very very cold it has worked !!! My biggest worry was losing my hair, it has thinned a bit didn't realise had so much hair but have still got a full head of hair no patches at all. Also some how also have eyebrows and lashes??? Definitely worth doing though x
Lucy_BCC

Hi sahil

Here's a link to the BCC hair loss publication which contains information about scalp cooling along with further support ideas from BCC which you may also find helpful:

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/breast-cancer-hair-loss-bcc5...

Take care
Lucy BCC

somerset

I used cold cap. It needs to fit closely to the scalp. Where it fitted tightly hair looked more or less OK - where it was too big, so did not touch the scalp, my hair thinned.  However I never used a wig - got by with hairbands to cover thin strip and a cap to wear in strong sunshine (I was advised to protect head from sun). I was told sticking with the cold cap would mean hair grew back quicker and more likely to be the same colour. Don't know how true this is but where mine thinned it did start growing back by end of last cycle and it was the same colour (which was a relief as I did not want a strip of different coloured hair!). It is uncomfortable so depends whether you find it bearable - I thought it was worth it (and of course you can always stop using it if you don't like it).

For eyebrows/eyelashes the chemo nurses suggested getting some Talika Lipocils gel and putting it on eyebrows and eyelashes every day through chemo. They said other people had found that it prevented losing them. I was sceptical but it is relatively inexpensive so I got some from Amazon and I did not completely lose eyebrows or eyelashes (eyebrows thinned a bit but very much still there). Might be worth a try if your chemo nurses are OK with it.

Nikki49

I thought long & hard but decided against it. I know people that have used it but with mixed results - for some it didn't work, for some they couldn't stand the cold and gave up and for others whilst it worked their hair went very thin. Unfortunately no it does not save your eyebrows.
sahil786

Cold cap

Hi. Has anyone tried the cold cap, it can be used when having chemotherapy so u don't lose your hair.
Has anyone tried it and dies it work for eyebrows as well as your hair