GMTV, Me and Coronation street....

Hello, I am going to be appearing on GMTV on Monday with Lorraine Kelly, I have been keeping a video and filming some of my thoughts and treatments over the last 5 months.

They want me to comment on the Sally Webster story line on Coronation street, if anyone on here has any feedback for me I would be grateful, as I am painfully aware everyones experience is different…

Anna

xxx

well done you ! has it helped do you think ?
re the Sally Webster storyline - I think it’s great that they have chosen to do a bc story and think it’s been handled very well and sensitively - the only niggly thing is Sally’s sudden recovery after her op (hugging her girls without any apparent arm stiffness/pain and going to the Trafford Centre !!) and having rads within 3 weeks of her surgery. It seemed to me that as far as everyone is concerned she’s ok now and that the rads and hormone treatment is a little afterthought tacked on - I have a feeling they might expand on this though. Good luck!!

Get in there Anna. Good Luck. I will be watching. Monday is my first mammogram since being diagnosed. Feel a bit weird really even though I am sure its ok. But then I was sure it was ok when I went 12 months ago!!!
XXXX

Hey Anatell :slight_smile:

May I suggest you plug breastcancercare.org.uk for the help we’ve all received, both from the behind-the-scenes staff and each other?

I don’t post on here as much as I used to, but I know the help and support I received was very, very important to me. Especially the meet-ups :slight_smile:

Good luck to us all.
Maureen xx

I myself was very disapointed over the Sally storyline. Never a soap watcher myself; I did start to watch it after a friend told me about Sally’s BC. Maybe I am being a little selfish here; but you look at any of the forums on here, and the chemo and side effects that we have all been through, her story is not ringing true? I know its only a soap; but surely it could have been a bit more realistic?
Does anyone think the same? Emma xx

Take a look at the sally webster thread, there is lots of feed back on there, and agree please give BCC a plug.

break a leg as they say in show business LOL :slight_smile: xx

Good luck with Monday Anna, I’d just like to add re the Corrie storyline,I hope that they don’t just give the impression that after diagnosis and initial treatment that it is all done and dusted.We all on here know so well the emotional impact that having a cancer diagnosis has upon us and how life re health worries is never the same, it is an ongoing saga for us and not something that we can ever forget about,we just learn to live with it and cope in varying degrees.

Sandra x

Good Luck on Monday Anna and enjoy it! as Rhian says, the corrie thread has loads of feedback
monica x

Good luck with Monday Anna. I’ll make sure I record the whole programme so that I don’t miss you.
As regards the Corrie storyline I feel that it’s been pretty well-handled and comprehensively explained for those who don’t have experience of breast cancer but I felt the “oncologist’s” glib reply to “Are there any side effects from Tamoxifen?” which was “No” while laughing and saying “well not compared to the cancer itself!” was not satisfactory as there are many possible side effects to Tamoxifen and some women have actually developed cancer of the womb lining from Tamoxifen so it was rather an ill-informed and glib comment. It was all a bit basic and painted rather an “easy” view of breast cancer and treatment but it is a soap I suppose and they did try to explain each stage but it gave the impression that chemo is only given for a more serious diagnosis and not as is often with younger women given as an “insurance” and just in case there might be stray cells lurking.
Kevin’s “Sally’s in the clear comment” was also a bit premature but in the main it was sensitively handled but treated a little as if she just had a cold or something after the results came through.

Good luck Anna,

Anne xx

Anna,just wanted to say best of luck for Monday. I won’t see the program but will try and get someone to record it for me. I’ll be up in Edinburgh having a bone scan and seeing plastic surgeons on Monday - know where I’d rather be though.

I agree that it would be a great opportunity to ‘plug’ the amazing work that BCC does. I was one of the 19 BCC girlies who went to Centre Parcs last weekend, and I can truly say it was the best girlie weekend I’ve ever had - better therapy than speaking to psychologists etc!

Shenagh xx

Just a second thought. Maybe you should tell them that it takes away our self-esteem.

Good luck to us all.
Maureen xx

Good luck for Monday, I will certainly be watching. Again I agree with everyone else, please talk about BCC, I have found it soooooo comforting to be able to talk to actual women and gain their advice and support, it has and does help me everyday.

You know before you are dx with BC we go about our everyday lives and I for one was quite ignorant about what is happening out there to thousands of women everyday coping with BC. I feel humble/proud of the strength I see in the posts on this website. Every women deserves the best possible support she can get.

As for the Sally Webster topic, well I know it does happen like that for some lucky ladies, but in my mind it made light of BC.

I am sure they will look after you and it must be quite exciting to get a chance to see behind the scenes. Look forward to lots of gossip.

Enjoy the day and look forward to reading your posts.

Anne xx

Anna,

Sorry, can I ask what treatment you have had/having??

Anne xx

Hi Anna will certainly be watching as at home recovering from a full hysterectomy courtesy of Tamoxifen !!! the Corrie thread on here is good lot of different views including my own !and please do give BCC the plug it deserves …it is a godsend and such a means of support even two years post DX even though I dont feel the need to visit as often as in the eraly days x

Thnx maz

hi anna, well done! make sure you bring up the subjuect of children and how horrid they can be with all this rubbish going on i know rosie and the boob job storyline is running and really they could make a lot more of the friction between teenagers and parents that can be agrevated by a bc dx (as both u and i know)
sue

Thank you for the feed back, I tend to agree that everyone is a bit glib and relaxed about the diagnosis especially with Rads and Tamoxfen and the impact they will have on Sally.

I know I was not that perky after my surgery, mind you I had the mastectomy and it is still causing some discomfort and pain. I will be having my last chemo on thursday next week, then 5 weeks of radiotherapy and then tamoxafen.

I will definitely be plugging this site and thanking you all for your input too…

Anna
xxx

Great opportunity Anna, will record programme as will probably still be in bed. Any idea what time yu might be on. Can’t help on “Street” details as haven’t watched it for years but sounds as though they need to do more homework after reading other comments.

Yes please mention BCC as this site is invaluable to us all.

Babs x

Hi Anna,
Well done you, i shall definately be watching on monday, yes be sure to mention BCC and the wonderfull work they do for breast cancer, might be nice to give our thanks to all those who fundraise for us too.
Good luck
Linda x

how exciting. will be watching Mon, and telling all my friends to watch, too.

eva

Good luck for Monday and give a plug for BCC. Maybe you can mention being HER2 for those of us that are and this then being 22 months of treatment. Also as has been said problems with arm after mastectomy like arm stiffness and lymphodema. Thank you for appearing and representing us all. x