Has anyone else struggled to eat normally after surgery?

Hello,

I had a risk reducing mastectomy & immediate reconstruction less than a week ago, and I’m back home and doing pretty well, horrible drains aside!

My tastebuds have totally changed though. Normally I love stuff like  fruit, veg, fish, eggs, nuts, yet since the op I’ve felt ever so slighly queasy and can only face eating stuff I don’t normally really even have, like white bread & pasta. There’s all this stuff online about how eating fruit & veg helps you heal from surgery, but at the moment I cannot even look at a vegetable!

Just wondering if anyone else had experienced something similar? And if so, when you went back to normal?

Bel x

Hi bel

Initially even when in hospital I struggled to eat and would often eat only a mouthful of whatever I had selected - in fact to begin with I think I only ate yoghurt, porridge or ice cream - but then I did have issues with nausea and vomiting after my operation which took a while to sort with anti-emetics.

It won’t hurt you to eat white bread and pasta for a little while - time enough for your normal diet to reinstate itself when you are good and ready.

Swampy

Thanks, swampy. Sorry you had it too, but glad to hear I’m not alone. Actually I think the antibiotics I have to take while the drains are in are at least part of the cause. I’m even off chocolate! But I will embrace white toast and butter while I can!