Help

Dear all, I am a real saddo and at 55years scared stiff and need help to get started. I have not as yet been diagnosed with breast cancer but have symptoms of a right nipple that inverts, but which goes back to ‘normal’ when cold/ stimulated. I know I must go and see my GP but can’t get myself started to do this, I realise it sounds stupid, but any advice??

Yes go to the gp! It is fear that is stopping you and this will only get worse the longer you leave it. If the gp feels they should refer you then the one stop clinic will see you within 2 weeks. It is such a good system and it is likely you will have a mammogram, ultrasound and possible biopsy the same day. At the end of the session which can be around 4 hrs they may be able to give you an idea of the problem. I know you are scared but it really is so much better knowing, and if the news is not so good, you will at least be able to face it head on. Treatments are very very good nowadays and better to have gone to dr as early as possible. Loads of good luck and really hope the outcome is positive for you. If you have a look round this site, you will see there are many many positive stories, and stories of hope so please don’t write yourself off!
You are not a saddo, just very normal!

Hi there. I think you know the right thing is to see you GP but you are understandably scared - lots of us on this site recall only too well when we had to pluck up courage to go to our GPs. What JenBen says is absolutely right. When you phone your GP tell them why you want the appointment - my GP fitted me in the same day once they knew what my concern was. If referred to the 'one stop shop’it will be within 2 weeks and you’ll know very quickly what’s what (mine told you the same day). If it is nothing - and we all hope it is - you can quickly put it behind you. If it is cancer the sooner you start getting treatment the better.

You’ll be fine, and if you have to join this club, there are loads of lovely people on here who will support you.

Take care, take a deep breath and pick up that phone!

Hugs coming through the ether…

thanks so very much Jenben and RevCat for your advice and help, I know what you say is right and I will make myself get an appointment …and let you know the outcome

There is no doubt what you should do. Get to the doctors. I dont know what you have planned tomorrow morning, but if possible ring the doctors at 8am, tell the receptionist you have worrying breast changes and they will probably give you an appointment straight away. In the meantime look up on the internet which hospitals are near you and see what breast clinic facilities they offer. You have a right to ask to be refered to the hospital of your choice. Try to see if one of them looks as if it offers a one stop clinic. Or if you cannot tell, at least think about buses and parking and practical things like that.

GP’s recognise now that they are not breast experts and are more than please to refer any breast changes to a clinic. They normally say urgent so that you can be seen in two weeks.

I think it is something like 90% of referals are negative. A good proportion of the remaining 10% are realy small and non invasive. But go along and get checked out. Think how you feel now, the worry is only going to get worse. There is something strangley empowering and calming about taking matter into your own hands and getting the action going.

Do come back and let us all know how you get on, or even log on later tonight to chat about things

Do let us know how you get on. If in the end there is no cancer, will be delighted, and if it is will gladly support you x

Hello cb1,

You aren’t a saddo at all - just worried n scared! Like everyone’s saying, you’ll be better when you’ve plucked up courage to go to your doctor. The statistics are for only 1 in 10 people with symptoms to actually be diagnosed with cancer, and hopefully you’re going to be one of the 90% who haven’t got it.

Please let us know how you go on… make that dr’s appt tomorrow, or as soon after that as you feel able.

And come back on here please whenever you want, and certainly when you’ve got some news. We’re a lovely crowd of people on here - we love good news stories, and if instead you do get a breast cancer diagnosis, well we’re all here for you!

Take care of yourself! xxx

Thank you to all who have given so much support, have made a GP appt for later this morning and am now looking up hospitals with one stop shops. Will let you know the outcome of all this
cb1

Yay! 1st step!

go girl!!!

Good on you! let us know how you are x

Hello cb1

Welcome to the forums. I see many of our users have already come to support you.

You may also like to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 600 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 9.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes
June, moderator

True to my word have seen the GP who poked, prodded etc, was gently reassuring and will make referral to the one stop breast clinic at my local hospital , hopefully will have an appt within 2 weeks and will let you know what’s said (and done!)Huge thanks to a wonderful group of supportive people
cb1

Well done cb1 - you have done great to get courage up to go to your doc’s this quickly!

Take care, and hope you get your hosp appt through soon! Please keep posting when you want, and let us know how you go on!

Luv, Shelley xxx

Thats brilliant, do you feel better now or has the referal made it more real??

the next two weeks are going to be surreal, people react in so many ways–complete denial, living in a fairy tale bubble(that was me). absolute panic, cannot stop crying, throwing things etc. Or swinging from one to the other. Whatever you feel is normal, but come on here and rant, it does make it better to get it off your chest.

Now unless you are a totally independant private person, you might want to take someone with you–have you thought about that. Not only could it be 4 hours waiting around, but if they do not just take one look and say oh that is fine, it might be a bit of a shock that you have to come back. sometimes having support at that point is good and also another set of ears.

you will have lots of questions. Best advice Choccciemuffin gave me was keep a pen and paper around to right them down. and take pen and paper in. if he mentions anything technical ask him to write it down. Mine drew little picturs for me.

Who are you going to tell at this early stage. the first thought is no-one because it is going to be a scare. My test though was, what if it is not a scare, who would be upset that i had not shared this with them right from the start?? so i told my grown up kids and a couple of realy close friends, the sort you ring up and moan if you have a cold.

And again, so well done for grasping this and getting on with it. The sooner you hear it was a storm in a tea cup (well in mine a double G cup) the better

OldandLumpy and everyone else,thanks for your advice, so far I have told my wonderfully supportive partner and will tell a couple of close friends. I will take pen and paper with me to the appt and ask them to write everything down. My main concern if this comes to anything is my sister who has had bowel cancer diagnosed, undergone major surgery and chemo during which her husband left her. She has had a really tough time during which we have been very close, I am worried that if my issue turns into something serious it could send her back into clinical depression, any advice?

Well done, you have made the first courageous step. You probably feel frightened and relieved at the same time. Come back and post if you get anxious while you are awaiting your appt. We are all here to give you support xxx

Hi cb
Well done you have done the right thing. As said above the 2 week wait will be hard and you will go thro every emotion possible. That is very tough with your sister and what she has been thro and going thro. It may not be wise to tell her things now unless you feel she can handle this. If the news is not good it may well give her the impoteous to support you. She is ahead of you in this journey and you may find that she feels she can support you. She will be quite knowledgable cancer wise, and could give some good advice. You know her best and know if this would be the case. You have said tho that you have a supportive partner, who will be your main support, and therefore you may not need to lean on her too much emotionally.
Don’t undermine your worries tho right now and make sure you get some good support right now x. Hope that made sense! Disregard it if I am way off beam!

Well done cb on making the 1st step I agree with all thats been said & we are here for you don’t let things bottle up you’ll always find good support here

Hugs
Mekala x

As the others have said, well done for going to your GP. It will be a long two weeks, but there are plenty of us here (and elsewhere) rooting for you. We all hope you are in the 90% who get good news, genuinely we do, but we also know that there is great support on here if you have to join this ‘club’.

Be kind to yourself, you’ve shown you really are brave and will deal with whatever this is.

Hugs again.