Just been diagnosed and feel really emotional

Hi there, My name is Brigitta.

I found a lump in my right breast just in the middle of december, and been diagnosed with BC on 30th. It felt like Im drawning in the sea... and there is nobody around to pull me out.... I have seen the surgeon talking, but I didnt hear a word. As the days go by I start to remember the things he said to me. I am 28 years old. And I have a 2 years old daughter. Me and my partner were devastated. I got all my appointments for week commencing 4th Jan. Bone scan, full body CT, MRI (where I had allergic reaction for contrast and almost died) and then Thursday afternoon… the results. Had my appointment at 4:30 pm with the oncologist… 5pm… still waiting… I felt like I was gonna explode. I kept saying to myself and my partner that everything is gonna be fine. It will be fine. I will be just fine… And I`ve seen a family coming out of there, I still cannot forget them… all of them were crying… They were broken down. I just wanted to cuddle them all and give them some hope… and I said to the love of my life: “I will not be coming out like that” It cannot happen!

And I came out crying too. But from happiness, because it didnt spread. Everything else is clear. So I will have my surgery probably in a week time, they only remove the lump (11mm). We caught it in early stage. And then chemotherapy, which I am terrified of. It might sound silly, but my biggest fear is loosing my hair... I dont know how I am gonna be able to coop with that. Please if you can give me advice how to deal with the side effects of the chemotherapy, I would be really thankful… I know I will be fine. I believed it all along. Please believe in yourselves and ask for help… Your soul needs company… 

Hi Brigitta, I’m so sorry you had to join us. I am just finishing my chemo and am waiting for my mastectomy in 2 weeks. You will discover such strength within yourself that will get you through all this. Be gentle on yourself and listen to your body. If you need to rest then rest. I won’t lie, some of the chemo side effects are tough. The fatigue is awful. You will find your taste affected I swear by pineapple chunks. It can be frozen as can grapes. I didn’t cold cap but lost my hair within 2 weeks. Some people swear by the cold cap, hair thinned but they kept a lot. Take any help offered by friends and family. The chemo can affect your nails so paint them dark colours. They can also become brittle and flaky and develop ridges. You will loose all your bodyhair. Which is great as no need to shave or wax. My hair on my head started growing again 4weeks ago but then my eyelashes, eyebrows and nose hair all disappeared. Have a pot of vaseline and use it round and in your nose to help with the constant dripping/running nose. You are young and I would recommend you sign on with the young womens group. There is also a chemo monthly thread for people starting chemo in January. The threads are a fantastic support as you are all at the same stage. There is a great thread at the beginning on tips for getting through chemo. Best advice is ask if in doubt. There are always people available to answer.
It is so frightening at the beginning but once treatment starts it eases a little. You can get through this and you will.
Good luck for your surgery and future treatment. xxxx

Hey there bambi, am typing on my phone so forgive me if I am brief. The shock of being diagnosed is devastating and all of us on this forum have had the exact same feelings as you but take comfort that when you being the treatment course things settle down. Trust your doctors and believe in yourself. BC is treatable yes it’s not like a broken leg I know. Take comfort that it’s a small growth and that its been spotted. It will be out soon. Eat well and keep talking to us all, call the helpline when you need to. Sending you all hugs xxxxx Ali

Hi I was diagnosed in December and I’ve just had my second chemo. Hair fell out after first chemo over Christmas. Felt terrible about it at first but now it’s all gone I’m ok. I should have had it cut short as the constant hair loss was hard and my scalp hurt. Wearing scarfs and beanies now and feel more in control ?

Hey my name is Stephanie. I was just recently diagnosed with breast cancer. I’m 36years old and I’m in complete shock. I’m praying for your speedy recovery. I’m still waiting on the stage and how it will be treated. I’m going crazy with worry.I don’t know how to handle it. I have strong faith. I just want this cancer gone so I can live a long and healthy life with my babies.

Hi I’m Emma. Aged 32. And have also recently been diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma. I have already had a wide local excision and sentinel node biopsy. Feeling sore and sorry for myself. Waiting for my results meeting on the 8th Feb and waiting to find out follow up treatment. Nervous!!!

Good luck with your results appointment Emma,the waiting is the pits.It does feel a lot better once you know what your treatment plan is though.

Hi I was diagnosed 2 days ago and know how you feel I can not get my head around it I kept being told it was Ok and then suddenly thy said they were surprised and it is cancer 5 cm awaiting mastectomy sometimes it just feels like it happening to some one else not me How can it be me and sometimes I just cry .we are on this journey together all of us stay strong

Hi Diana,it does feel like it’s happening to someone else doesn’t it as you don’t feel any different after you are diagnosed than you did before.I still feel like it’s a bit surreal 7 months on.Lots of support and advice available on this site.Good luck .Jill.

Diana same with me. Gp wasn’t worried, care nurse wasn’t worried, Dr taking biopsy wasn’t particularly worried. Then bam it’s cancer! Then it’s a whirlwind of appointments and emotions!
Thanks Jill waiting is a right pain!

Hi All. Just wanted to give a heads up. I had my wide local excision and sentinel node biopsy on 20th Jan. Going back for results on Monday. I was fine till now… but anxious again about Monday… recovering well though. Hoping not to go back to theatre, so we can start with this horrible chemo and be over with this nightmare. Lump is out now. I feel so much better. ?

Good luck with your results Bambi and Sarah.After the op you can put it to the back if your mind for a few days and you are so releived to get op over,but the anxiety does creep up on you again when you come close to the results appointment .

Thank you Lord for this forum. I feel such a sense of relief to be chatting to people who are in the same position as me. Diagnosed in December and had mastectomy on 21 Jan. Recovering well and waiting for my appointment on 12 Feb for way forward re chemo. Needless to say I’m anxious but reading your comments helps. Stay strong ladies

Good luck Maz,waiting for results is the pits.

Hello,

It is so sad to read all of your comments. I was diagnosed with grade 2 BC two days ago and I am 32. So much is going through my mind and my emotions are all over the place. Likewise I am so pleased I have found this group, it’s reassuring to know l am not alone.

Love and hugs to you all

Xx

Hi Hayley,it totally shakes you to the core when you get diagnosed ,I was in a state of shock for several weeks ,but it does really help talking to people in the same situation .I felt so “abnormal” and talking to people who really understood helped me such a lot .There are quite a few ladies talking in the just diagnosed section ,I’m sure you will find it if support and advice there .

Hayley,  there is nothing in the world that can prepare you for the shock of hearing those words. I was dignosed with grade 2, 2 weeks ago and the emotional roller coaster is horrific, the forum has been a fabulous source of info and support , take care x

Thank you so so much for your kind words! Love and hugs to you all xx

Hi All. Had my follow up appointment on 1st February. Lymph nodes clear ?
Although the margins were not clear for DCIS so they are unsure if they need to make another surgery. If so, I will ask them to do a double mastectomy with immediate reconstruction as it will definitely be after the chemo and radiotherapy. I am starting my FEC-T chemo on 19th February. About to go and get a wig ? will most likely need it. But I accepted it… finally I was able to. And looking forward to finish with this nightmare. I will win this battle. Because I want to.!!!

Hi all had my follow up 4th Feb. 2 of 3 lymph nodes showed traces so was back in on 9th for lymph node clearance. 21 removed, results this Thursday. Drain out now, am sore, but ok. Back to waiting which for me is the worst. Hope you all ok xx