Newbie and need to share

Hi

I am 57 with a previous history of a benign lump(still there) in my right breast (20 + years ago) and a clear mamogram in october of this year.

My daughter found a lump in her breast last wk(which was checked and benign) which promted me to check mine( i hate to say i am not very vigilent on this)on sunday whilst in the bath.

I found a thickened, imovable area(mass) behind the left nipple. Went to Dr’s yesterday who found it straight away and also, confirmed what i thought was a slight spread out towards the armpit. She spent quite a bit of time feeling my armpit going over a specific area a few times. She has referred me to the “urgent” breast clinic which means i will be seen within 2 wks.

I have not told any of my family…and have the most awful gut feeling about this.

I dont normally get upset or overly worried as i worked on a breast/surgical ward for several years but recently moved to maternity.

Sorry just needed to get it off my chest…sorry for the pun!

Hi dalip,

Well it’s good you’ve had a clear mammogram this year & your gp has referred.

It’s never a picnic waiting & inevitably it is an anxious time, but you will soon get an answer.

There are many other things it can be besides bc & mostly that’s not what it turns out to be.  If it is more serious, then the sooner it gets dealt with the better & for the many of us who have gone through this, most of us go onto make a full recovery.

ann x