Newly diagnosised help

Hi I have just been diagnosed with two grade 1 lumps in one breast. I have got to have a sentinel lymph node biopsy , what is the recovery time of this? I also need a masectomy and reconstruction , I am unsure of which option to choose regarding having an implant or my own tissue as that’s a bigger operation and what recovery is like. any info gratefully received.
Thanks

Hi Trace, sorry to hear of your diagnosis. When I was disgnosed I had a mastectomy with immediate reconstruction and he did the sentinel node biopsy at the same time, going through the same cut so I only have one scar. I chose to have the reconstruction using strattice mesh (pigskin) to support the implant as it was all done in one operation. It carries a higher risk of rejection but it was ok for me. I was off work for 8.5 wks and then went back on a phased return.(I’m a part time primary teacher). I’m nearly a year on now and still have some stiffness under that arm and have to be careful not to lift anything too heavy but apart from that it’s fine. I think that option works best if they think you don’t need further treatment as radiotherapy can damage the implant , My sentinel node was clear so I am on tamoxifen for 5 years but no other treatment. 

Pat my hospital they had a file of photos of the different procedures and what the results looked like which was helpful. I am only small busted but the match is pretty good on mine apart from the fact that the foob is less droopy!  Good luck with your decision! Nic xx

Hi Trace,

I am sorry you are going through this difficult time. It is great to see the support you are already getting on this thread and I am sure users will continue to share their experiences.

In the meantime you may also want to try looking at and posting on some of our busySurgery board threads where you will be able to find more information and support.

Best wishes, 

Lizzy 

Digital Community Assistant 

Thanks that was very helpful.I am meeting my plastic surgeon this week.I am glad you have had a good outcome.

Thank you for your help x

I have just been told over the phone the lump isn’t benign and have to go for another ultrasound tomorrow as radiologist noted an enlarged lymph node when he did biopsy but didn’t do one on the lymph nodes. Not seeing Dr till tomorrow so get full picture then . Been told it’s treatable. Feel better knowing as the waiting is cruel. Will find out re treatment tomorrow. Haven’t told childrent or family save for husband as need answers to questions first. Haven’t cried yet feel numb.

I having sentinel lobe biopsy on the 12th but they were fairly certain at my scan and mammogram my lymph nodes were not affected totally understand your numb feeling I feel I am going through the motions at the moment and finally told all my family.That drained me as i felt like I needed to prop them up.I hope your appointment with your doctor is not too daunting.
I wish you luck x

Thank you Trace. Told my friends by text so that’s one thing done. Just want all the information tomorrow so I can plan. Have loads of questions and am going to write them down. Thinking of you. X

Thank you Blossom Hill. Yes was due to get results today but got phone call yesterday evening to ask me to change appointment time and nurse told me then. Now have the extra worry re lymph nodes. Feel angry this morning but expect it will be a roller coaster if emotions. X

Hi i saw my plastic surgeon today she says I can have Diep procedure as long as my lymph node biopsy is clear next week, so fingers crossed.I am provisionally booked for 3rd March.so it’s more waiting but I at least know the choices I want and when it is likely to happen although I am a scared.

The waiting is the worst thing I think. Thinking of you x

Yes your right there the waiting is hard.I hope your not waiting to long either LMB212 X

Had biopsy of lymph nodes yesterday. Lumpectomy late Feb and dependant on results of the lymph nodes biopsy possible removal of them. Definitely having radiotherapy and possibly chemo. Back at consultants next Tues so will no more then. Feeling ok had lots of texts emails from everyone so trying to say positive. X

I hope your lymph node results come back ok so you don’t have to have them removed as well. Hugs.

Thank you. We will beat this and having the support on here is a great help. X

We will beat it. My results tomorrow praying lymph nodes clear, Sarah X 

Yes we will beat it and good luck for tomorrow x

Good luck for today Sarah x

Wishing you a good result today x

Had my sentinel node biopsy now I have the wait for the results…which determines whether I have a masectomy and immediate reconstruction or not or need further treatment.It’s another step in the journey but why do people think that as soon you have the required treatment that everything will be all hunky dory as if it never happened.my body will never be the same and mentally I won’t be same…i just want to shout yes this is a big deal it doesn’t just go away I can’t put it in a tidy little box marked never to be opened again,It could just pop open again when ever it feels like it…if I could only nail it shut! sorry for rant having a wobbly moment.I think things hit me more meeting a lady that was just about to be given the all clear to be told it was back and the enormity hit me more.