Seroma build up after surgery

thought I’d start this thread to see what other people’s experiences of seroma build up has been, any tips to help relieve the feeling, or advice you have been given.

I had surgery on 7 Dec - left breast masectomy and immediate silicone reconstruction.  I had 3 drains initially, and came home with one which I had in for 2 weeks.  As soon as it was taken out the build up started - Christmas Eve!! On Christmas Day (of all days!) I was concerned, but it wasn’t infected or sore, just uncomfortable (like when your milk comes in after you’ve had a baby). I looked through information I’d been sent home with and was reassured that it was common and nothing to worry about.

I have had it checked by my Gp and also my surgeon last week. She was tempted to drain it but decided to let nature take it’s course which I was thankful for as she said the needle would go through muscle and hurt! I wasn’t in the mood for pain right then!! 

I’ve now just started chemotherapy and think that the build-up has increased - again not sore or red, but uncomfortable and I can otice the size when fully dressed. I’m wondeing if chemotherapy hinders your body’s ability to naturally disburse the fluid?

Anyway - I would be interested in hearing anyone elses experiences :slight_smile:

Thank you :) 

Hi. The doctors treating me are the opposite and clearly believe in intervention. I had chemo before my surgery (right mastectomy, lymph node removal and immediate DIEP flap reconstruction) on 19 December. I’ve been drained three times from the underarm/breast area - they got 400ml the first time (more than a can of coke!), 100ml the next and 280ml the next. With the first and the third the fluid build-up was so uncomfortable that is was painful and it was such a relief to get it drained. The surgeon tried to do it herself but nothing came out so I was sent for a procedure called ultrasound guided aspiration. The procedure didn’t hurt - I’m still largely numb there - but it is uncomfortable. A friend did have it done by her GP and she says it was fine. They did say it would go away by itself in time if they didn’t do the procedure but I’m glad they did it. Hope that helps.

Ah thanks for that :slight_smile: Was just sat here thinking about it! I do think my body is too busy dealing with the chemo that it doesn’t want to be bothered with the fluid! I see my oncologist on Monday so I’ll ask her too!
Thanks for the reply, hope you are recovering well from your surgery and treatments xxx

I had same problem after mx and silicon implant in sept 14. Came home with one drain but it got pulled out by accident too early. Had to have regular aspirations including ultra sound guided. Word of warning - my surgeon did say that there’s an increased risk of infection the more times you have it done, it the build up was painful and caused my scar to open and leak so I had no choice. During subsequent chemo I had repeated infections which led to the removal of my implant in December 14.

Keeping a close eye on it for any signs of infection but looks fine at the moment. Will keep mentioning it and getting it checked out at all my different appointments!
Thanks xx

I had mx and anc on 21/01. Got home next day and 3days later started swelling up. Mx side now same size as normal boob. Very tight and heavy. Was told it will go but snxious as still increasing in size. Waiting to hear back from bcn. I feel stupid for worrying about it but it is so large now you can’t tell by looking at me that I’ve had a mastectomy. How long will it yake to go down, how long will it take to come back and can I have my rxt with a seroma? Help just need some reassurance. xx

Suzy, I think the most important thing is whether it is infected or not - if it doesn’t feel hot, your wound/scar isn’t weeping and it’s more that it’s uncomfortable rather than painful, then I’d say that it’s fine - not an emergency. But you’ve done the right thing in contacting your bcn. I’m still swollen, and am going bra-less as I’m finding that more comfortable. Looking at me you’d think now that my natural boob is the sude I had my mastectomy and my silicone reconstruction sude is swollen!
Last week my body must have been fighting the chemo and the seroma was quite a lot, but it’s slowly going down now - still swollen mind! It’s worse if I e slept in that side (which I can do now :slight_smile: )
Let me know what your bcn says - I have to say, this is the thing that’s bugging me most!
Good luck! Xxx

Hi Kim. They’re getting me in to see surgeon tomorrow after my Herceptin. I have just been for a walk and the mx side is so heavy and painful. There’s no redness but a big bruise is forming as well. I would rather leave well alone but am glad it is being checked . The scar was looking good post surgery. All flat and dry. I am getting a bit upset about the swelling. Having been through so much already I just wanted the rest of treatment to go smoothly. Will keep you updated. xx

They may well drain it then - other ladies on here who have had theirs drained were relieved once it was done - so hopefully that will happen. I know exactly what you mean, it is an extra worry you can do without. I was feeling like that last week when I started this thread. Definitely let me know how you get on :slight_smile: xxx

They drained 300mls today. Feels more comfortable but still very swollen. Have appointment with surgeon on Monday. He will decide then whether to drain more. Feel better for having it looked at. xx

Ah that’s good.  I wore a bra today and regretting it now! Plus I’ve just noticed my lower arm on that side is swollen now and the lower part of my hand! I’ve been doing more arm exercises, so that might be the reason why.  Think I’ll monitor it overnight and maybe ring someone in the morning if no better.

Good luck with your appointment on Monday xxx

Seen surgeon again today and had another 950 mls drained. Almost flat on mastectomy side. Have to see him again next week. RXT will be delayed until seroma has gone. Just wanted it all to go smoothly fat chance.xx

Nearly a litre, Suzy EB? Wow! That much feel so much better.

Kim… have that arm and hand checked out. x

Arm and hand went down once I’d rested it and hasn’t happened since, but I’ll mention it when I see the consultant a week on Thursday. Think I’ll ask for my seroma to be drained then too if she’s ok with that. It’s not stopping me from having chemo, but I’ll need it sorted by the time I have radiotherapy then. Mind you, that’s not until June!
Hopefully that’s yours sorted now Suzy!
Xxx

I really hope so, although I have a friend who had hers drained 6 times.
Kim glad the swelling has gone down but you must get it checked. They don’t always want to drain seromas. My surgeon was quite reluctant until he saw the size and how tight the skin was. Praying that it doesn’t come back again. The needle didn’t hurt as I am completely numb on the side of my breast following the surgery. xx

Want to scream. After having seroma drained on 02/02 it has re accumulated and is just as big. Not painful just annoying. I have an appointment on Friday afternoon to see the surgeon. Should be getting the pathology results from the lymph nodes they removed at mx and anc. Hoping I can make it to Friday without needing it drained. So frustated.!!! xx

Oh no :frowning: I had reflexology on Tuesday and mine seemed to ease a bit the day after. It may have been a coincidence mind. It’s back up again, got worse again after I wore a bra for a few hours when I went out on Friday. I’ve got my next appointment with my consultant on Thursday and I really am in 2 minds whether I want it drained or not! As you say, it’s more uncomfortable than anything else. Plus I’m very lopsided when I go braless!!
Got my next dose of chemo tomorrow and so I’m expecting the buildup to increase next week like it did last time :confused:
On the plus side, I’ve had no further swelling on my arm which is a relief!
Hope you can get it sorted soon! Xx

Also - good luck with your results on Friday xxx

That’s really great news about your arm. All the best with your chemo tomorrow. xx