Should I get a dog?

Hi All

I know this sounds a daft question BUT I do a lot of dog training especially Working Trials which are a bit like police dog work and spend about 2 to 3 days a week in fields whatever the weather! I have always had two dogs but last year just before I started chemo I had to have the elder of my German Shepherds put down. If I hadn’t have had cancer (bi lateral mastectomy, chemo, rads) I would now be on the look out for a replacement and in fact, would probably have already got one. My problem is that I feel I have “had my card marked” as they say! My oncologist has told me that I have a 50% chance of a recurrence (mets?) in 5 years. But also a 50% chance it will not recur!

What do I do? I am very keen to have another dog to train on, but I am 63 with two artificial knees and my husband will be 75 this year. Floyd, my present dog is 4 but has a slight back problem which will curtail his competition work. I don’t want not to carry on as normal but what do I do if cancer recurs? Sorry to ramble on but anyone got any ideas? I’d hate to get to the end of another 10 years (god willing) and not have bought one but by the same token I don’t want to get a dog and die in 2 years!! All comments gratefully received.

Sharon

hi sharon
what about german shepherd rescue…or any rescue for that matter,they have a lot of older dogs from good homes where owners have died.they really need a loving home and you sound like you have a loving home to give. i too have 2 newfoundlands and worry about the future for them and my hubby who works full time…i also have your prognosis.i try not to look too far in to the future and live for today and enjoy my dogs and hubby more so now.
good luck with whatever you decide
karen

Thanks Karen

It’s not that I don’t want a rescue dog, but the sort of training I do I really need to start with a pup. Newfies are fabulous - have you seen the one on Crufts who helps with the gardening as well as being a Companion Dog?

Sharon

Surely this will depend on whether you feel up to coping with a puppy on top of your treatment? It is better not to put off something “in case I’m not here in two years” - that is negative thinking. Far more to the point is your current ability to cope. If you think you can, then go for it - it will keep you active and take your mind off other things.

So there are two possible outcomes for you - a chance the cancer will not come back, in which case you can get on, get your puppy and have fun, and enjoy that love owners and pets share…
Or the cancer could come back - this could be in any varied amount of time, during which you could still have that puppy and share that love. Even if it does return, you could have years still left, some ladies on this site have lived and are living with recurrences it seems for many, many years. And even if the worst happens, you will still get time to plan, to find a loving new home for your dog.
So do it! However long you life may be, enjoy it to the full.

Shannon

I think the problem is that Shepherds bond closely with their owners especially when they are working together.I do think you should get a pup though,perhaps you have a fellow trainer who could work with your new dog sometimes and who would be a willing foster mum if the worst happens;which we pray it wont.horacex

I have three dogs including a large GSD. I have no family so was worried but changed my will to cover my dogs. I finished Rads in Jan and just had a home check to adopt a 3 yr old rescue shepherd. Some charities arn’t keen others as long as you have a reasonable prognosis are okay, as they said no one can predict the future or guarantee they will be around in x no of years. I am sure your GSD will love the companionship of another dog if he is missing his friend. I would go for it, but its up to you.
val

Wow - thank you all so much, you’ve really made my day! It’s just the “what will happen to the dog if …” problem isn’t it, when you bond well with them! I am heartened by all your advice and will now raise it with my husband and see what he says!!

Sharon

Hi Shaz,

As a fellow animal lover i understand where you are coming from and your concerns. Hopefully that will be all they are just concerns.

There has just been an advert on tv it was from the RSPCA and it was about registering with them re your pets and it was talking about how they will care for and do their best to find your pet a new home should there be a bereavement. They did give the website out on the tv…i think it was www.homeforlife.org it may be worth giving it a browse. It may be able to put your mind at rest and help you with any decisions you make.

Love Deb x

Hi Sharon

As a fellow dog lover, I think you should go ahead and get one. I couldn’t live my life without my dogs and intend to have one as long as I possibly can. If you get a Newfie, can I come and visit?!! They are my favourite breed of all time, but haven’t got one yet, but it is on the agenda. They are the most gentle, loving dogs you could hope to meet. I saw “Connie” the newfie on Crufts - she is gorgeous. It so nice to see someone concerned about the future welfare of their dogs when you see so many idiots get a dog despite knowing that they can’t look after it or afford to feed it, but get one anyway, only to leave it as a stray when they get fed up. You have good odds and none of us can ever guarantee we will be around in five years as that old bus might be around to run us over!!! Go get your dog!!

Love Cathy
xx

Hello

Just saw your post. I was diagnosed with bc at aged 32 in 2003 and got a black lab puppy to help get me through the whole experience. I’m now 37, have bone mets and have had the whole works thrown at me… a total hip replacement, rads, zoladex, chemo etc etc. Once again my lab is there by my side helping me through it all. She’s great for making me get up and out of the house and really helps with my rehabilitation. Lots of walking and cycling now helps my hip. I think it’d be a great idea for you to get another puppy – it would take your mind off your prognosis if anything!! A secondary dx really is not the end of the world – although it feels like at diagnosis – I’m planning on outliving my new hip and getting another puppy!

A few years ago I took ill health retirement from teaching (stress&depression) and my black lab was the reason to get up in the morning. I couldn’t look after myself but my dog never missed her walks and feeds.
I think you should go for it and put ‘just in case’ systems in place then you can enjoy your puppy. No-one knows what the future holds, you’ll possibly regret it if you did nothing.

HUMPHR10 - black labs are the tops aren’t they? Mine was 17 when she died!!

Thank you for that. Much as I like them I won’t be getting a Newfie as they are not really suitable for what I want to do, but I might get a lab, although my heart is really with German Shepherds. Decisions, decisions, decisions!

Sharon

Hi Sharon

I adopted a four year old rescue GSD on Sunday so now have 4 dogs including 2 shepherds. He has settled in really well and helps keep my mind off any thoughts of the cancer returning. I would strongly reccommend getting another GSD they are great loyal loving dogs.

Val

I would think long and hard on this one. I do not think you should get a puppy, it would not be fair on the puppy if things went pair shaped as you say 50% 50% chance, unless you have close family that the dog knew and they would be prepared to give the dog a home. ie daughter/son etc? you mention your husband is 75 years old, if any thing did happen how the heck could some one of that age cope and execise a GS? because of your love for the dog he would try (for you) to keep the dog and cope. Please do not get me wrong i have 3 dogs myself and one of them is a puppy i took on in 2006 (i am 58 now) I was diognosed with BC at 56 and to be honest if my partner was not 12 years younger than me and in great health i would not have taken on a puppy. This is just my thoughts and i would never judge anyone, i guess reading the other people’s views i’m the odd one out. anyway i hope all goes well for you.
Take care Woof Woof.
XX

O Sharon I agree with Kippy and after reading your thread I would think twice about a german shepherd it is a big dog and needs a bit of looking after. I have got a little Jack Russell he is 5 now and I love him to bits in fact he is very spoiled but we dont care thats why we got him to spoil him. I do remember when he was only 8 weeks old god it was hardwork. I was diagnosed a year passed last November with BC and god there were days when I couldnt take him out and I use to feel so bad about it.My husband is a carpenter and use to have to work away a lot so he wasent always here to take Ben out either. I think we tend to forget when our dog gets a bit older just how hard having a puppy is. Its hard enough when we are well never mind being ill. If I were you I would definitely think twice. I know you are a dog lover but you would be heart broken if you were ill againand the dog suffered. Please dont think I am being hard on you as this is not my intention . Good Luck on whatever you decide Love Linda xx

Oh Sharon, I feel for you. GSDs are not ‘just dogs’, are they? No better breed for WT either, if they’re sound.

I’d be very wary about taking on a puppy, and probably even more so about taking on an adult.

I’m 51 and just post-surgery, so in the very early stages of this test called BC. On low days I console myself thinking the dog (a soppy terrier), the cats and ponies are all past middle age, so perhaps I won’t have to leave them (I know, I know, tomorrow it could be the bad bus day). It’s totally irrational that this can worry me more than worrying about my kids. It is not just out of perspective, the practicality is that I know where my children would stand in the event of my death - NOT how they’d feel, just where they would live and their financial status - but I am not certain what my animals’ future would hold. If you do take on another, and even for Floyd, could you possibly nominate someone you know well, and trust, from your club, who could be named to adopt either or both dogs should you or your husband have to change your plans?

hi Sharon

Go for it girl!

You sound like you’d be a lovely owner and if you don’t get your puppy then someone far less suitable might - so you could be SAVING it from a far worse fate than having a lovely time with you.

Ask your doctor next time you see him/her if it makes you feel better!

Enjoy life !
love FizBix xx

Well sinse posting to you yesterday i have thought about you all day and i still say no to you getting a puppy (my opinion) i have a suggestion, you might like to think about? We took our young puppy (Disney) who is a XGS to behaviour classes which she still attends, at these glasses one of the trainers and his wife who are both in there seventy’s take GS puppy’s (who are eventually going to work for the police) they keep them untill they are a couple of years old they have done this work for the past 25 years, yes living in your home, as if yours, when they do eventually go into service the police handler lets you know how they are going on, and you can still have contact, how goods that? Maybe this is worth looking into considering your circumstances. You get your GS. you are doing the police a great service, its just a thought, and please don’t anyone say what i am saying to Sharon is not fair as she will have bonded with the dog then it has to go off, because that’s my point it’s ditto for the dog, if you bought your own puppy. I do not know what area you come from, maybe the police do not work in the same way? I really feel for you on this issue.
Cheers X

Thanks Everyone for your kind comments and thoughts on the subject I really do appreciate them.

Kippy Thanks so much for your suggestions - the point is that I want to work my dog in working trials (which is basically what the police do) I’d rather compete against the police than train a dog for them to take over. Anyway I’m not sure that I could part with it after 18 months when it would just be ready to start competing and training them gives you something to do!

I know what you’re all saying about house training and training a puppy and I have been there!! I was really spoilt with Floyd, my present GSD, as he arrived in the house as an 8 week old, puppy and on the first night, popped through the cat flat for a tiddle and came back through the cat flat! He can now only get the end of his nose out! I only had 2 tiddles in the house with him and they were my fault as I didn’t think he was asking to go out so he was an absolute joy to housetrain. BUT … the previous GSDs were nightmares - I wondered if they were ever going to do it. But they did eventually.

I do train with a very good group of people (3 of whom have BC!) so thanks for the idea about asking if anyone would adopt my dog if anything happened to me - I might work on that angle.

Thanks for all your help.

Sharon