Starting EC Chemo in January

Hi everyone
Have only been on this site a couple of weeks since I was diagnosed with the dreaded BC on the 22nd Nov, I had a mastectomy and anxillary node removal on the 1st Dec, this is the 2nd time I have had BC 1st time 12yr ago, I had a lumpectomy and node removal followed by Radio & Chemo the 1st time, obviously things have changed in 12yrs, I am just wanting to know how other people have found this treatment.
Merry christmas everyone.

Hi, sorry your back on the journey after a long break, I am having 4 x EPI and 4 x CMF, I have just finished the EPI and started the CMF christmas eve, next one new years eve, once I’ve finished teh chemo then 3 weeks of rads and tamoxifen for 5 years, I think I’ve been evry lucky not had too many side effects from the EPi will know afetr 1st cycle of CMF how I go, very anxious on changing chemos but thets what they wanted so we will see !! Good luck with your treatment, it’s not pleasent but it is doable, and there are so many more things that can be done for sickness and side effects now, thinking of you,

Belinda xx p.s Happy christmas !

Hi there
I had 4 x EC July - Oct this year and found it doable. Take the anti sickness and you should be ok, not that bad really but expect the usual tireness etc…

Just finished 4 x TAX last week.

Good luck with it and for the for the new year too…

thanks very much for your help, i know it a stupid question, but did you take any vitamins/iron etc? did you manage to continue working and I have acrylic nails stupid question but will i still be able to have them.

Hi Dee49,

Would be interested in your experience of just finishing 4 x tax? I’ve just had my second tax (I’m having between 4-6) and we welcome your experience? I’ve heard it effects nails?

Sarah xx

Hi Sarah,
I’m just about to have my first Tax, after 3 FEC. Saw my onc this morning, who was at pains to warn me about the nails! At worst you can lose the lot, at best they will get sore, flakey or black. Yuk.
Tracey

Hi all,

I have just finished my chemo - unfortunately my body didnt like the tax and i only had one dose.

But, just to let you know about the nails - if you paint them with darkest coloured nail vanish you can find if will give them some protection - i had a white line across mine and they were slightly weak, but no pealing or breaking. I got this tip from bcn so if has worked for others too!!

Apparantley its the sunlight on the nails which affects them!!

Corinne

Hi TSR,

Good luck for your 1st tax I hope it goes well for you.

Corinne, thx for the dark nail varnish tip, I had heard this but didn’t realise it was to do with the sunlight, I’m learning so much on this forum it’s great! Also congrats on finishing your chemo, did u loose your hair? It would be good to hear from you with regard to when it starts growing back!

Sarah x

Hi,

Sarah - I lost all of my hair, everywhere!!

Started to fall out around the 3rd week, very slowly at first and i thought i would be lucky with just thinning - but by the 6th week it was on my pillow when i woke up - this was too upsetting for me and my husband cut it all off, i couldnt do the shave the head bit, not brave enough, but went to a grade 1 (so then had little bits on my pillow!!!)…

Other bodily hair totally disappeared by the 3rd infusion of fec - hey at least no more waxing!!! -

I also lost most of my eyebrows, but still have to have an lip wax - go figure!!!

Some good news tho - come the second from last chemo it all started to grow back (maybe your body gets used to it!) - i am now shaving my legs again and have about an inch of hair on my head, and about 5 eyebrow hairs!!!

only prob i have tho is that you cant die your hair for at leastt 3 mths after your last chemo - and all my hair is grey!!!

Have you got your wig yet - wear mine all the time - as i said i am not as brave as some of the ladies here, cant do the scarf thing, except with close friends in my own house…

Have you spoken to the nurse about the coldcap - heard it works for some people esp if they have thicker hair, mine is very fine…

Corinne

Hi Ladies

hollingtons01 - I never took any vitamins etc, as I’m on other drugs (non bc related) so have to be careful what I take anyway so just made sure I ate lots of veg etc, meat and dairy, was told not to diet (was on weightwatchers so that went out of the window). Did and I still am doing the ‘pregnancy’ diet and avoided at risk foods like pate, unpatrised milk, runny eggs, etc… managed red wine though lol…
I was signed off sick (and still are) for the whole period as I work in a large office and there’s always somebody coughing or sneezing and with the weakened immune system it’s not good really to be near people like; also the tireness builds up over the period so you feel weaker and weaker each time (well I did), but guess it depends on where/what you do. I have a 60 mile round drive everyday taking appx 2.5hrs so that alone was enough for me! Some people manage to work from home or reduce their hours, but whatever you decide don’t feel guily about it - you have bc and chemo to deal with at the end of the day and it affects diferent people differently.
Anyway despite all that still ended up in hospital with an infection :frowning:

Not sure on the acrylic nails but sure somebody else might be able to help on that one…

Sazzie217 - I had my own nails before TAX the last time they were ‘nice’ I’d painted them bright red and bought some more darker colours as a few of the girls on another thread (Embarking) said that their nails had started going brown so to cover with dark varnish, which I think is fine, but mine are so brittle and break at the slightest thing that I’ve not worn any varnish for ages. My fingertips and toes are tender and I am now struggling with things like buttons, ring pulls (especially on beer cans lol) and other fiddly things. My big toe nails are lifting and I think they will fall off or crumble soon and I have two ‘suspicious’ fingernails that I think might be going the same way - but hey all is not lost as my eyebrows are growing back - Well I have designer stubble on them, but at least can follow a natural line now with a pencil and my OH said they looked ‘natural’ the other day, but then again what do men know about make up?
As for the TAX in general…
I’ve had a rough time on it but as I said I have another condition and more drugs so that may well have had an impact on it too so don’t be too disheartened ladies.
And now I’ve done it, it’s over and you’ll all be there too - Just remember to try and smile or laugh each day and you will get through.

TSR - Yes your onc is right, mine nails are sore, flakey and some about to come off as you will see from my comments above… Oh Yes and black a couple of them and they do look yuk…

Corinne - Gonna paint what nails I’ve got left now LOL - wish I’d known that earlier about the sunshine - take heed ladies!!!

Denise

Corrine - fabulous tip. I was wondering about that. Off I go for the ‘Uma Thurman /Pulp Fiction’ Chanel polish…expensive, but allowed under circs I think…Tracey

Thanks Denise for your comments, my head is all the place at the minute, have so many questions, but this site is helping, I work in an office so the likelyhood of picking something up is pretty high, am going to see how I go for the 1st couple and then may go on the sick again, have already been off 4wks after mastectomy but it cant be helped, i just dont want to feel useless and stay as “normal” as possible if that makes sense. I too am on WW so looks as if i will have to stop doing it, did you put much weight on during the treatment.

Will ask my onco/bcn about the nails when I next see them.
Thanks again
Debs

Hi Debs… ermm, sorry but yes, I put on 1.5 stone out of the 2 that I’d lost over a 3 month period on WW :frowning:
Ever so sorry to bear the grim news, but in hindsight, think I should have left the baddies alone and still ate more ‘healthier’ - ie don’t use the chemo as an excuse to eat cheese, cream or cheesecake!

I’m a ‘chemo’ first girl and my mastectomy (mx) is planned for end Jan/Feb so you did well only being off work for 4 weeks! Got radiotherapy after that and just been signed off for another 3 months and I’ve been off since end June! I initially felt guilty, and still do to some extent but looking back just couldn’t have done work, commuting, chemo and family!

Good Luck!
Denise x

Hi Dee,
All the things you stay to stay clear off are my favorite!! but yes i agree will not use as an excuse, it took me plenty of money!! and hard graft to lose the weight so am damned to put it back on.

Have been in today to sort going back next week, i have listened to my body and feel up to going and there is only so much daytime tv!! have told them when i start treatment will play it by ear, as i dont have to travel very far each day hoping to stay at work for couple of sessions then go off.
Hope you are ok
Debs x

Hi Debs,
Don’t overdo it at work!

Have a peaceful new year…

Denise x

Thanks Dee, Happy New Year to you and your family x

Am starting my treatment on the 25th Jan and have been reading up on the EC chemo and it says that your white cell blood count gets low which I suppose it does with any type of chemo!, has anybody got any tips on foods to eat to boost the white cells. Also would like to hear from anyone that is/about to start this treatment

Debs

Hi Debs
I had Neulasta injections the day after chemo to boost the cells if this helps

Denise x

Hi.
I have had a few problems starting up with this sight but fingers crossed it should be OK now.
I was diagnosed last June 2010 with BC, after being free from it for 19 yrs. I had a masectomy in Sept, tumor was second stage and 3 inches in size.I am now half way through my Fec chemo. Not been to bad the first 4 days are the worst, but I seem to cope by sleeping it off. Lost all my hair within the first 14 days from 1st chemo, but have a fab wig and the up side is I do not spend hours washing and styling my hair, shake of the wig and its all done within 2 Min’s. Hope for reconstruction once the chemo is finished and they are sure there is no more cancer. I live in Hampshire and attend the new super Queen Alexandra Hosp in Portsmouth. The staff and hosp is great, BUT the system is much to be desired.Have to have injections to bring my platelets up, hosp say district nurse will do them and flush my picc line, but I have to arrange it. District nurses say as Im mobile, my GP’s practice nurse should do it. She refuses as she does not want to loose her licence!!! Spent a whole week phoning and running around to find anyone to do it. Do not need the stress. On top of all this I have fluid around my heart and have been told to take things easy and have no stress.

Hi tiger

my goodness you have been through a simlar time to me with the cancer although mine was 12 yr ago (13 this year), thanks for your input on the chemo, I am at the chemo ward on friday so will see what they have to say, the only good thing is I will save a fortune on hairdressing!! wil have to put money away and treat myself once it finished. I deffo going in for recon after all the chemo has finished, I live in Yarm and go to North Tees hospital, they have been fantastic and i really do have good support.
I hope you get your injections sorted out soon and yes do take it easy and try not to stress out.
x