Still enjoying your glass of wine ?????

Hi. There are so many sensational headlines about alcohol and breast cancer I was just wondering if it has put many of you off drinking at all ? None of my medical team have said anything on the subject ( and I am er + ) but I see on the american sites the ladies often seem to have been told no alcohol . I have made a concession to my diagnosis by switching from a glass of white to a glass of red !!!

bump

Yes same here , the red grape is a more healthy option !!!, so I have been informed, I do worry about everything I eat and drink now, but still gota live a wee bit . I did ask when I was on chemo if ok to have the odd glass, and was told , nothing is barred if it gets you through, but that M word is always used…Moderation x
take care xx

I was told a little now and again probably wouldn’t do any harm, might help me to relax. But since being on tamoxifen I feel rubbish the day after drinking, so I rarely do anymore. I miss sharing a bottle of red with OH :frowning: But for me the beeline rubbish just isn’t worth it. Some folk say the have worse hot flushes with red, so stick to white; for me it’s nausea, heartburn and severe pain in my upper right back.
I was always a beer drinker, stouts and porters, but I heard that hops can mimic oestrogen (sp?) so I also cut it right out (I’m ER+ too).
I say enjoy it, if you are able, as we’re only here once. But in moderation of course!
Lisa xx

Life is short. Enjoy a little of what makes you happy!

I’m not a big drinker and am described by freinds as ‘ignorant’ when it comes to wine (all tastes the same to me!). I don’t think that I could relinquish the occasional Baileys coffee however, and if offered a glass of the pink bubbly would struggle to say no!
I don’t know about anybody else, but I find all the research and ‘findings’ hard to keep up with. I’m sure I’ve earned a PHD in the last few months!

Unfortunately for me I havent been able to drink red wine since starting chemo! Also about six weeks before I found my lump I also went off wine, but was able to after my op! Not sure what my body or taste buds are saying to me…

Missed the reports that said alcohol related to BC - where was this? Not really drunk much since diagnosis March 2012. In October we went to my friend’s 25th wedding anniversary and my Onc’s advice was to only drink “good quality fizz” which I did and had a great time with no after effects. I now have the occasional glass of prosecco but can’t tolerate red wine at all - think it is the Tamoxifen effect.

Helen,
I like your onc telling you only the good stuff :slight_smile: Life is too short for rubbish booze! That said, I just wish I could enjoy it now and again. It’s my partner’s birthday in a couple of weeks and I won’t want to be the party pooper on the cokes. Just one glass of “champoo” please :slight_smile:
I think alcohol is linked to lots of cancers, not just bc, but I did see thread somewhere (possible on a US bc site and maybe not here) which talked about the effect of alcohol on the levels of circulating estrogen. Apparently drinking alcohol can raise the levels significantly. Presumably for those of us on tamoxifen the worry is that if there are many locks (ie ER+ bc cells in the body) and not enough Tamoxifen keys to block them, the extra ER can promote growth?? I don’t honesty know - greater minds than mine have probably studied it :slight_smile:
There have probably been articles about alcohol being the cause of bc in the Mail… :wink: I don’t blame my bc on my love of wine though!
Lisa xx

I restricted alcohol for 2 1/2 years after diagnosis, but have decided to enjoy myself now as life is too short! I have a glass or two of red about twice/three times per week. I am still drinking the green tea and taking immune boosting pills. Am drinking a glass of beer as I speak!!

I restricted alcohol for 2 1/2 years after diagnosis, but have decided to enjoy myself now as life is too short! I have a glass or two of red about twice/three times per week. I am still drinking the green tea and taking immune boosting pills. Am drinking a glass of beer as I speak!!

My Onc said drinking whilst having chemo helped the se’s, couldn’t believe it. But it tastes so awful you don’t want to, typical!

I read somewhere a glass of organic cabernet savignon is good for you its full of restivol which is suppose to be good for you .I love a mojito but the smell of barcardi makes me want to throw up gutted

I read somewhere a glass of organic cabernet savignon is good for you its full of restivol which is suppose to be good for you .I love a mojito but the smell of barcardi makes me want to throw up gutted

My friend is drinking Guiness and she is on chemo. It appears she is doing well on this combination and is eating like a horse. Since being diagnosed myself (just post op) I can’t say I really fancy drinking although I did have a few shandies on Saturday. Love a glass of bubbly stuff so think I will stick to a few glasses of that!

Sam x

A very useful thread, thank you ladies. My cocktail starts on the 21st June, TC chemo, my OH and I enjoy our wine, mainly white for me but I guess I’m going to have to literally suck it and see as no idea yet how my SEs are going to materialise. A drop of the black stuff and a glass of good fizz sounds good to me…

Since chemo has finished I have been put off of alcohol for a couple of different reasons. During chemo I felt like I had a permanent hangover and to me drinking too much would put more toxins in me again. Red wine tastes horrid…which is annoying because I loved a glass. Prosecco tasted ok but gave only had three glasses of alcohol since last August. I read about the link. My onc said it was fine to have a couple of glasses of wine during chemo. For now I dont feel like drinking. xx

my onc advised me to cut out alcohol and caffine and limit my intake of processed foods, I have secondaries in my liver and figure I should treat it as kindly as I can. I think what you do and don’t eat and drink is a personal choice, there is lots of advice out there and some ‘experts’ would have you on a dairy free vegan diet, it would be nice to have some clearer guidelines

Good point Milo1, it would be good to have some advice about diet etc. I would like to know more about taking vitamins & supplements - my Onc will not engage in a conversation about this as he feels it is not his area of expertise. Helen

Morning Ladies. I too have secondaries in my liver. Once the cancer has spread I suspect a fat freee/sugar free , vegan diet etc is a bit like bolting the door after the horse has gone! ( Very different for ladies with just a primary) My Onc promotes living your life to the full and enjoying it. I do…
Having said that I don’t drink mearly as much as I used to, one glass of wine a night is enough and have never drunk spirits or beer/lager anyway. Your liver can function perfectly well with huge chunks cut out of it, with tumours in it, having fatty deposits in it - next time take a look at your liver funtion test results! When my liver starts to struggle and( as I have my bloods taken weekly ) then alchohol, fat and sugar will have to come out of my diet. but until then I am LIVING and ENJOYING my life with my supportive family and friends. And if I fancy a drink I’ll have one, if I want a top layer off a box of choccies I’ll eat them. I am not going to my grave wishing I had that last green kale smoothie!
I do appreciate that we are all so different and cope with secondaries differently - but this works for me! Hugs to you all…