Surgery tomorrow (4th May)

I’m having my lumpectomy tomorrow. To say I am bricking it is a understatement! I had to have the needle in my nipple this afternoon for the lymph nodes test thing where they will I next the blue dye whilst they are removing the tumour! Also got told today that I am Her2 positive so when I start chemo will need more but said will go into that after I have recovered! X

queenbee

Hi, can totally relate to what you are feeling but you will be fine honest.  Before you know where you are you will be back in the ward getting ready to go home xxx

Just make sure that you rest well after the op and do your exercises as they will help with the mobility of your arm post surgery.

Let us know how you get on sending you loads of hugs xxxx

Hi Queenbee,

How did it go?  Hope you are ok.

I had my lumpectomy and sentinel lymph node biopsy yesterday too.  I had it in the afternoon, got home just after 8pm.  Everyone at the hospital was very kind and looked after me well.  I was surprised by how painful it was when I came round - I naively thought I’d be dosed up with pain relief and anaesthetic and wouldn’t feel a thing - actually it hurt - a lot.  I was sorted out with pain relief pretty quickly and that has been much better.  Now awake at 4am, ready for some more pain relief !  

How are you doing?

I will definitely be taking it very easy for the next few days and be kind to myself - make sure you do the same.  I plan to make a start on the easy exercises and have a go and also make myself use my arm as normally as I can, within reason, to try and prevent stiffness.  

Fingers,crossed that our review meetings in a couple of weeks bring good news.

Take care and be kind to yourself xo

Thank you. Operation went good. Everything went according to plan! Feel quite sore and stiff this morning and haven’t really slept well as Kept waking up in pain! Keep getting alot of pins and needles in my fingers! X I’m back in Tuesday for a dressing change and then review meeting on the 18th x

I think I ran on adrenaline yesterday - felt fine took no pain relief - used my arm did the exercises.

I was up all day -  people were very kind, lots of visitors and phone massages.

Boy by 9pm I was shattered, 10pm pain and swelling.  Having a very quiet on day today and staying away from the phone!  Think I tried to run before I could walk - a bit foolish and naive.

I hope you are feeling ok Queenbee and are taking things easy xo

queenbee and lizzie

Great to hear that you are now post op.  Take it easy for a few days now.

Sending you both a very gentle hug

Helena xx

Lizzie (sounds weird typing that as that is my name too lol) I feel like that too. I’ve woken this morning taken painkillers a d feel as though I can take on the world lol… feeling a bit woozy but other than that I’m fine although I do need to tell myself to rest as I’ll only feel worse later x !

Hi ladies xxxx

Have some rest now and take it easy, sending best wishes to you both.

Hugs
Fiona x

So pleased you are both home. Take it easy (easier said than done I know!) x

Flying archer… glad you are doing well too. I am.the same. I don’t feel.as stiff and sore as they said I would…i am too getting those stabbing pains every now and again but I suppose that where all the work took place so I tell myself it’s my body going back together… they did tell me my breast would be indented as the tumour was quite big and at first I was dying to see how it looked but I’m not too bothered now… the cancer has been removed from me and that’s all that matters now! X

Flying archer
Love your analogy of the Petri dish it did make me smile x

Hi Flying Archer and Queenbee (Lizzie) glad you are both doing ok.  I took it easy yesterday and indulged in pain killers and sleep - feel so much better. 

I’ve just had my first shower - was,a bit nervous but it was lovely.  Feeling refreshed and smell great.  

Queenbee we both have our review meetings on the 18th, although I don’t have a time yet.  Where in the country are you ladies?  I am in Northamptonshire.

Take care and remember to take it easy. Xo

Lizzie I am in Grimsby! No time yet either for mine. I’ve had a bath but was told not to get my dressing wet for 5 days so just a little one so I felt fresher! I slept the whole night last night and didn’t wake in pain. I’m so bored of resting though now and off to sit at my friends for an hour just for a change if scenery! X

It was nice to get out and about and get dressed although i was tired come bedtime but it helped me sleep better. Im not suffering any numbness at all. I’m starting to get a ache in my shoulder but been doing my exercises daily so hopefully they will help…xxx

welcome Max,
Meltdown moments are quite normal, we’ve all had them!
When waiting for my post surgery results, I found it helpful to focus on the facts I already knew & if something more unexpected came up with the final results, then the treatment plan would be adjusted to deal with it. As it turned out, everything was all ok.
ann x

Hi maxi. I had mastectomy and lymph removal on the 2nd. My results are also in on the 17th. ?
The waiting can be torturous if you start to think think think. My husband says for every worst outcome I imagine I have to also take a minute to imagine the best. It’ll of been nearly 8 weeks from diagnosis by the time my results come in. That’s nearly two months of unknowns where your imagination is in complete overdrive. It’s obvious we’ll have bad days. Sometimes I feel great, then all of a sudden I give myself liver, threat and bone cancer as well. ??
Definitely keeping busy helps. I’ve spent a fortune going shopping etc. I think I might have to hide the credit card statement when it comes in. ?

That should be throat not threat. Maybe my subconscious as I definitely feel under threat. ?

Haha. I’ll like my husband know what you said maxi. He’ll love being told he’s right for once. ?
In my case “feel the fear” comes from the brilliant Susan Jeffers book. Feel the fear and do it any way. She teaches that whatever comes our way embrace it. Whatever lies ahead we WILL cope. X

Hi

bowels are now working fine and throat has improved considerably.  Just felt a lump under my arm.  Decided to take off the dressing and leave it off.  The scar is healed and scabbed so can’t think that is wrong???  Think the blobby bit is this seroma thing.  This time last week I was getting worried because the surgery was delayed!  I keep having to tell myself ‘and I still had my Unwanted Little Visitor’ too because it all feels a bit unreal now sitting here with a battered boob and an underarm that looks and feels like the Somme.

Walked into town earlier, had lunch and walked back.  Think I’ve overdone it a bit hence the swelling.  It was ok this morning but hurt a bit after going to the freezer in the shed (opening doors, runaging around, etc) Trouble is, it’s my right arm and so difficult not to use.   Nothing hurts if I just do nothing but that’s sooooo boring.   Don’t think driving is an option yet.  I still feel tired and a bit yonderly at times.  

I think a cup of tea might have to happen soon (hands round virtual tea and cake).  

Hi Lizzie
There is a thread running titled Breast care nurse.
I think a lot of us have problems making contact!
Sandra x